• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Binoculars?

I posted that I was in the market for some binoculars in the Equipment experts and Bird Watchers forum and got some good advice. But I thought I'd also run it by you bow hunters out there.

I'm looking for a decent (not perfect) pair of binoculars to use bow hunting. My price range is firm at $50 - $100. It was suggested that I take a look at a pair of 7x35 Bushnells.

My question: What do you bow hunters out there suggest I look at that would fall under that price range?

I appreciate your advice.

Your best bet in this case is to fins the best glass for the money. I would not argue with Bushnell, they are lower end glass but pretty darn good for the money. If you decide to spend about 25 bucks more, you might be able to get into the lower end of the mid range companies like Nikon and the like. However, if you would like to save some bucks, bushnell is about your best choice. You might also want to look at BSA, Simons, store brands, Jason, and the like. Some glass is better than no glass in my opinion. Good luck!

You can get a pair of Nikon Action series 8x40 for just under $100 at Cabelas. These are not waterproof and you would need to keep them dry and store them in a dust proof container while being transported. The optics in any Nikon product are very good.

Bushnell's H2O Porro Prism would also be a good set for someone on a budget. These are 100% waterproof and priced about the same as the Nikons.

One thing to keep in mind with the lower priced optics is that the mechanism that aligns the two sets of lenses is not as sturdy as the higher end units. With a little care in handling they can still provide many years of satisfactory service. As a bowhunter I prefer a compact set of binoculars, but to get anything close to satisfactory low light performance on your budget a full size pair is probably your best bet. With a full sized binocular you need to be carefull when shooting a bow espeicially when shooting down from a tree stand. Either tuck them in a jacket or get a bino buddy strap to keep them out of the way.

I've had those H20 binos and they didn' last very long. I've owned several pair of Bushnells. They fit the bill for awhile but always get broke/bent sooner or later. A few years ago I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Steiner 8x30's. They are extremely bright and clear. For bow hunting and turkey hunting I love 'em because it's a one-handed operation with the eye-piece focusing. I think you can find them for $165.00. More than what you want to spend but I've been down the same path and would spend the extra $$ in a heartbeat after owning a nice pair of binos. The $140 range seems to be the cut-off for getting into the better-end glass. I've bought enough $50 pairs of binos in the past. I plan to keep the ones I have now for a long, long time.

I would go into a store that has a wide selection and look through them. This will show you the difference in quality related to price. I guarantee you will spend a little more than you want to, but in the end you will be much happier with the purchase.

Rolly

Hopefully I don't get criticized too bad but I ended up buying a pair of Pentex binocs that were in my price range. The gander mountain in Woodbury really has some good deals going on right now....on everything. All their optics are 30% off right now....binocs & scopes. They are building a new store and need to liquidate all their inventory.

I looked through about 6 pairs of binocs in my price range before making my decision...I know....probably not enough pairs looked at...but that's what they had in my $$$ range. I decided on the Pentex because I felt they were clear and easy to use...plus compact. It was the same pair I borrowed from a buddy last hunting season and I was more than pleased with their performance last year.

Just for fun...I looked at the $175 steiners and they were very nice...just a little more than I wanted to spend right now. But who knows, maybe I'll end up like some of you and drop more $$$ on binocs down the road...but if/when I do...I'll feel more comfortable spending the bigger $$$ then.

I do appreciate all the advice from you guys...thank you. Good luck out in the field this fall!

FL, if you like them, and its what you could afford, than nobody should criticize you and don't listen to them if they do! Enjoy your new purchase and hopefully they work out good for you!