• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two people on one wheeler?

only ice

I know it is not a good idea, but I have a 700 KindQuad and have a padded back rest and pad. I would like to take my daughter down the trail from Iron River to Ashland for a nice ride with me. I drive like a adult and have been riddind for 25 years. She is 21 and is about 120 lbs. that is less than my back rack says to carry.Will I be pulled over and given a ticket if we do this?? Thanks for any help!

A co worker of mine called the DNR and they said it goes in to affect august 1. riders 17 and under must wear a helmet and a driver 17 and younger can't have passingers.So next week take her out for a nice ride.

I don't remember the specifics, but the riding double law went into effect on July 1st with that set of bills it was attatched to. Getting late and I don't have time right now to look back through my e-mails. I will try to post the specifics later.

I am 100% positive it was effective July 1st.

I was able to find this right away. It's from Dave Rohdal (MN DNR) to ATVAM:

After lengthily discussion with the group at MMTC and our staff the law took effect on July 1st. Why? Because the bill was attached to the appropriation bill during special session. Appropriation bills take effect July 1st, Policy bills take effect August 1st. Either bill can have special starting date. The ATV bill started out as a Policy bill and was merged with the appropriation bill during special session.

I know the division is having the tickets dismissed that were written over the weekend even though the public and the officers had no knowledge of the new law changes.

Dave, could you clarify something for me. What is the law, right now, about how old a kid has to be to ride a wheeler and what size on private land? It always states 12 and older to ride on state land and 90cc unless you take the test. I'm not too clear on what cc my 9yo can ride on private property. I believe it say 12 and under must be on private property but doesn't state size.

I agree with you as far as the new laws nice to see some change. My son will be 10 next May and its nice to know I'll be able to take him riding and ice fishing sooner than 12yo.

Sorry, I probably should have started a new thread with this one.

Quote:

Dave, could you clarify something for me. What is the law, right now, about how old a kid has to be to ride a wheeler and what size on private land?

I'm not a lawyercrazy.gif I would think if something happens to your child when riding a larger machine, and they have no safety certificate, the state might be able to go after you for child endangerment but, the DNR can't make regulations for private land use.confused.gif Hopefully, some more might chime in on what their reasons might be.

Dave,

you are correct. Currently, the DNR does not regulate ATV usage on private land in regards to who can ride what size machine.

I highly recommend not allowing someone under the age of 12 to ride a machine larger than 125cc. The majority of kids under 12 don't have the motor skills or experience to safely operate a machine. Often times, we might see parents who allow their 9 year old kids to ride "dad's" machine, but they're putting their kids at risk.

The kids will, 100% of the time, believe their parents are making safe and ethical decisions. Thus thinking it's ok to operate a larger machine "because dad said so". When kids under 12, are operating a full size machine and are involved in an accident, you are correct when you say the parents can be cited for negligence. They willfully put their kids in harms way.

One thing I stress to the parents who attend the safety training is that "WE" as the parent are responsible for what our kids are doing until the age of 18. This includes when we put them on an ATV, regardless of age and size.

I used to work with a woman who was a single parent. She wanted something for her 13 year old son to do during his summer off from school, so she bought him an ATV. One day while she was at work, he had a friend over. The kids found out where she hid the key to the machine and proceeded to don their helmets and go for a ride down the ditch. They were cruising along and didn't slow down for a field approach. Both boys were thrown from the machine and were sitting up when someone stopped to help. To make this short, the boy driving the ATV died 7 days later from a brain hemmorage. Even though he was wearing a helmet, it wasn't enough to save him.

Can you imagine yourself being the parent in this situation? After taking the steps to make sure your kids don't ride while you're gone, only to be called at work and told that your only child was killed while taking a joy ride.

Keep in mind it doesn't matter if he was on an ATV, a motorcycle, or a car. Unfortunately the common denominator we see here is the ATV.

Your kids are much better off being just that.....KIDS, not a statistic. Be sure to supervise them while allowing them to ride.

To set the record straight. I recently purchased the Arctic Cat 90cc wheeler. It is riden on about 60 acres of private land. I just want to make sure it was legal to ride. Don't want somebody driving buy and calling the cops on me.

As far as the wheeler goes. I probably have it set to its slowest possible speed. When I follow it, the wheeler goes 11-12 mph. My kids can pedal their bicycles faster than this machine. Not until I feel comfortable with their riding ability will it go faster. One rider only, helmet and eye protection (usually just a pair of cheap sun glasses). Someone is always outside while wheeler is driven. Also have one the bigger wheelers ready to go if something where to happen.

Want nothing but the safest and enjoyable time for my kids. Its a great sport and I hope I can do it as a family activity for many years to come.

I think the number one common denominator is parenting.

Eiger, looks like you and I are on the same page, as far as rules go. My boys are setup the same and each have a machine. They started out on a 50cc and are now on 90cc's. One recommendation, get some googles. In case of a mishap, those cheap sun glasses could break easily and end up poking out an eye. The goggles would just flex. Both of my sons have laid their wheelers on its side. Was a good lesson for each to experience what not paying attention will do. shocked.gif

Dave, I do have goggles for each kid. All 3 have there own MX style helmet. Which all fit correctly. As far as the glasses go, they are tinted saftey glasses from work. I probably should not have said cheap kids sun glasses. When they ride their wheeler out at the farm there is no trees were they ride. Basically its old hayfield over grown with weeds with some low land. If I leave the property to take them out for a ride, ie..Nemadji, Redtop or Danbury, goggles are a must.

Keep up the good work!!

Eiger, I should've been more clear as well. I was thinking more along the lines if the machine tips over and the handlebar or other machine part hits the glasses. With both my boys, luckily they were wearing helmets even with low speed tipovers. And, keep up the great training work to you, too!