• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Purple Color on crappie

Matt -

Actually, I mean the color on the fish. I think -- not for certain -- that purple color on crappies are males. What I wonder is--what does that purple color mean? I am probably going down a road discussed before...

I could be WAY wrong on this... as I am often wrong.. but I dont think the violet color on crappies means much of anything at all.. just part of thier pigment. Generally the ones with a very dark belly are the Makes... Females will be much fatter this time of the year do to the eggs.. 1 Male can fertiize the eggs oof more than one felmale, so by harvesting the makes, you could be helping the lake population some.. However Catch and release would help it more. However I don't fault anyone for keeping a few fish for a meal every now and again. They are a renewable resorce if they are harvested responsibly.

Crappies, as well as sunfish, will go through some interesting color phases this time of year. Some changes are contributed heavily to the spawn, while others are just surrounding and timing issues. Darker colors typically indicate spawn effects, and in both males and females, but males generally see a more drastic effect. The dark silvery-metalic colors around the gills and face of the crappies right now is an example. Black crappies will become just that-- black. You will notice a pretty dark change in color pattern and fin appearence as well. You will also see an abrupt change in color once a fish is taken out of water too. Strain will play a role, as will other conditions.

I remember when I was a kid I didn't want to touch the ones with the dark-metalic tint because I thought there was something wrong with them. Then I soon found out that those fish are perfectly fine and that it's just a natural process that they go through.

I personally believe a lot of it has to do with the spawn, but I have seen crappies change color later in the summer as well, and even during other parts of the year, but no where close to as drastic as they do right now. Water clarity will play a part in some of that, as will forage (diet) and where the fish are located (weeds, muck/mud, sand, rock, river, lake, etc).

Chances are the fish you are seeing are preparing for the spawn or are seeing the effects of the situational change. We still have some time until the crappies spawn, but the influx in water temps will trigger certain things to happen, so it's not uncommon to see what you are seeing. Every year, season, even week is different from another, and the fish world is never concrete.

Sunfish will show some beautiful colors during the spring/early summer periods. Dark purples, blacks, blues, brilliant reds/oranges, yellows, etc. Their colors really develop during the spawn and time surrounding it.

So, the purple tint in the crappies is perfectly normal/natural and it can be excpected.

CrappieTom knows a ton about this, as does Matt Breuer, Corey Bechtold and united jigsticker, maybe they can give a little insight as well. (although Tom won't be back for a couple days)

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I agree as stated.

The purple pigmentation on a Crappie doesn't show an indication of the sex or quality of a fish.

This time of year, males are easiest to sort as they will be very black as a sort of defense camo when they guard the nests during spawn.

As Matt eluded to, a change will occur in the tails and finns of the fish, most noticeable on males, as they use their tail to fin away a clearing in bottom debris as a "bed" for the females to lay the eggs in. The tail may look ripped, rugged, or beat up.

Females will look very fat in the belly, and may even turn a more pale color before spawn.

Immediatly after spawn, the Crappies seem to take on a "molty" color, as the stresses of spawning have taken a toll on their frames.

Once recovered from spawn, as weed levels peek and oxygen is most abundant, is when I think Crappies take on their most beautiful colors.

A deep olive emerald green is common with a very glossy sleek look. Their tales have healed, and summer feed bags will be on.

Someday I'll make it up there to fish the big water with you. However, I'll leave the tree cutting to you wink.gif

So, are we having coho for dinner in the near future?

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I think the three of us should get in a boat together one of these days.

I am itchin' to see who catches more Crappies...then again...it might depend on who is driving the boat...

grin.gif

Least ways, I'd bring my longest waders, I know it'd get pretty deep in a hurry.

Seriously...we should set something up.

Is is spawn-prespawn or male female? I don't know. But I believe this is the colors you are referring to. I got these about 5 minutes apart today.

20050510image00080js.th.jpg

20050510image00019li.th.jpg

My guess

Top pic - male

Bottom pic - female, check out her stomach

Saturday I caught a number of crappies and it was hard to tell male and females except one really fat largefemale that looked like the bottom photo.

Thanks for the input guys -

I e-mailed the DNR and got a reply to my coloration question within 2 days. Here it is:

"I have been asked to answer a question about crappies you had sent to our department. Your question was: Why do some crappies have a purplish hue on the heads and gills?

Black crappies and white crappies (if you caught those crappies near Red Wing, then you likely catch both species), especially black crappie males, become darker in spring before spawning begins and remain that way until they finish spawning. Male white crappies also darken, but

not as much as male black crappies. This coloration will vary from dark purple, to black, to dark gray depending on the water body where it was caught. Crappies from stained waters tend to be more boldly colored than those from clear or silty water. Crappies spawn at water temperatures ranging from 57 to 77 F, which is from early May to as late as early July in Minnesota waters. So, based on the information you provided us, I am guessing that those darker crappies you observed were males from either species getting ready to spawn."

I got the impression that Dog was referring to something unrelated to the spawning colors. Crappies have a very pretty purple hue to them which is almost irridescent. I often marvel at this when I catch or clean one and the light hits it just right. The olive green is the same way but seems more evident to me.