• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A new Exude bait....

For a while now I have been trying to locate a new product made by Exude which also sports a paddletail and is only about an inch long. I had read some info and data on these quite a while ago, but could never find them around here. Finally yesterday at the Gander seminar in Mankato I located some....even mentioned them briefly during the seminar. Get this....I put these things back on the hook afterward and a guy comes and buys all of the two colors shown! So here I sit with again. lol

For those who have not seen these little devils, they look to be a dandy bait for periods of cold and high pressure such as we have been experiencing lately. Being very small and scented, they could be fished right off the snouts of crappies and panfish when deep and backed into wood/weeds with good results. And I'll bet that they will be a dynamic bait under the ice as well if fished on a 1/64 jig.

I don't know if I am the only person to feel this way, but I think that the big corporate organizations selling tackle need to come down on the buyers for shirking the needs locally. As much as I love Gander and Cabelas, I really see a need to pay far more attention to the local fisherman's needs instead of trying to satisfy a regional or state-wide niche.

Now that my jaw session is over, I am going to attempt to round up a package or two of these dudes and give them a spin. It may be too late in the spring to think about really cold water, but the recent nature of Mother Nature has provided us with ample cold front senarios and I'm quite sure she ain't done yet. Likely there will be plenty of time to give them a good go if I can get my mitts on some, besides, there will always be next fall and winter.

If you are out and about dreaming your live's away in the tackle shops soon.....you should take a look at these critters.

Yep, I think that's the one Tom is talking about. It's going to be dynamite on pannies! I bet they work very well under the ice too...

Have you tried them out yet Deitz?

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt- I got a few packs of them before they came out. For a small bait only 1 1/8 " long I thought it had quite good action. As you know Matt, I am a total believer in Exude products. This one was no different! I have not tried them under the ice yet...

How about open water? They produce well? I have a pack of the pearl/white and I plan on tossing them the next time I target pannies...

They need to make a Funky Chicken Micro Shad grin.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

LOL @ Matt, Let me know if they worked for you... Like I said.. they did work for me in open water. I have a buddie that lives on Chisago and caught fish off his dock using these all last summer.. I dont think he ever bough bait the hole year?

Matt, is that the one we were looking at that I said I have been having good results with? I did use it under the ice as well and had some success.

Yep, that's the one Brian.

Now I'm anxious to start throwing these at those finicky crappies. I think the size and profile is going to be a winner in these negative conditions...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Okay guys that's enough of the "under the ice" talk smile.gif I have a pack of the exude nymphs in olive green/white and they worked great for sunnies the other day. I'll have to hunt down those minnow baits and give them a shot. Thanks for the advice. Oh, and don't worry Crappie Tom, I only buy one pack at a time smile.gif

Bucketmouth.. yes.. I dont want this to sound like a comercial.. Its called the Comida(spanish for food) its the Exact weight(10 grams) and size of the Senko but more durable. And cheeper.. most stores do not have them in stock..but will be getting them soon!

I just recieved my shipment of 900 and I plan on useing them all!!!! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Crappie Tom, Early in the spring I had posted the great success I had with these new plastics. I had been reading your posts on the paddle tails and know you love to chase the crappie. I offered these as an option for you to try but must have got you on a bad day as you stated at the time that you were not at all a fan of exude products and would stick to what you knew worked. Anyway If you can not locate at local store let me know I would certainly be willing to send you our a few to try. I have the white pearl/black back and Chartreuse/black back. I think I have every plastic known to man so I can stand to thin out the supply. My favorite exude product is still the 1" scented twister tails in the white, yellow, pink, green. I also picked up some of the 2" curly tails and they have done well. I think they will work well of bass and walleye to. The best overall presentation this year has been a small chartruese tube jig with a 2" berkley power minnow. It has proven to be deadly. I also experimented with the 1" berkley sparkle power grubs and they have done quite well. The only issue with these is the tails get ripped off quite easily.

I watched Brian land about 30 pannies in less than an hour on those rigs. There was just something about that gold jighead tipped with a 1-inch white twister that drove those fish crazy.

One of the only times I use live minnows for pannies under the ice is when I can find pin-minnows, those tiny ones. The Micro Shad is almost an exact copy of those pin-minnows.

I wish I had a bag of those a week ago when we found a school of more-than-negative pannies...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Pike....Until a short while ago I was unaware of these new smaller paddletaied grubs from Exude. Don't get me wrong....when I fish certain waters during the winter that stay open, it is Exude along with another scented product that gets used, only in a twister tail of 1".

I have specific direction in mind when I hit the water bait-wise. Unless I am fishing a cold front at this time of year, my baits will be larger than what these little Exude paddies are. What has my attention right now is finally a paddle tailed grub of this particular proportion for fishing fronts and falling water temp senarios just like we have been stuck in.

As soon as the water begins to gather some heat, these smaller baits will fall to the wayside for me as larger profiled baits will be used on a consistant basis. I know these work for me. But if a cold front comes to town again, you can bet that I'll be down sizing big time and these small baits will fit the bill nicely. Am I going to go and put away what I know works for the bulk of the time to fish these instead? Nada.

In addition to the standards we find in baits used frequently or those used as "go to" baits, the diligent fisherman strives to find those baits which fill a particular niche for them that the usual does not. The Exude products are, and have been, exactly that for me for a long time.

I might go thru six to eight different plastics and colors before I find the sweet one on each trip out. This is my reference to the tried and true. And I don't think even you would drop that bait to fish one well outside of the profile, size, and action spectrum if you knew that such a move would result in fewer fish.

Plastics of any kind are a science. If you fish many, many of these for many, many years you draw many conclusions as to when they should be used. You will also become very familiar with the idea of "niche fishing" when the weather goes south. The ability to switch is a great tool. The ability to know when to switch is an even greater tool.

Crappie Tom. Understood. You are correct on fishing. I see fishing like any other sport. There is a mentle part to the game and you really do need to experiment to use the right bait in the right condition for the right species.