• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

food plot implement for atv

leechlake

I have a 450cc ATV and I want to know what type of ground breaking implement I can get. Our soil is relatively sandy and I'm prepared to soil test and prepare things right, but I'm wondering if any of the disc's for atv's really do work. Two farmers friends of mine said they doubted it and I just talked to my local farm implement guy and he said "not a chance." With all of the gear out there I'm thinking something must work, I'd rather spend more and have the thing work than spend less and have the disc not break ground adequetly. I searched here and didn't see anything on types of atv implements anyone uses, thanks. I really want to do this myself rather than get a local farmer do the work, I need a new hobby...

Hi leech....

I've never made food plots myself, but a source of info may be someone involved with a quality deer management program. I'm sure some of those folks use ATV's for breaking ground for plots.

Also... If you need help, drop me an email. I'll get the big ol' 700 warmed up and ready... grin.gif

Depends on what kind of ground you are breaking. Field grass, wooded area, etc..

I have been talking to people, and Biglakeba$$ has been a great help for my questions as he's been there-done that.

I have a field of grasses, it's relatively thick. It will require heavy machinery. An ATV won't cut it. I assume I can plant and maintain the food plot with an ATV after ripping up the ground with heavy equipment.

If I'm going to do it, it will be with heavy farm equipment. Then pray for the best.. grin.gif

Ah yes, breaking new ground for a plot.

Is it basically old sod? Or are you talking about areas within the woods?

The reason I ask, is because the disc can work good in getting the ground churned up in the woods, because the sod is probably not real thick, if there is even any to begin with.

If you are talking about a meadow or old field, don't even bother trying an ATV disc to cut it up.

Check with Cycle Country. They make a few different pieces of equipment that would work better in a sod environment.

I have not had to use an ATV to break sod fortuneately. The plots I have in the woods, were easy to break up with drags, diggers, disc behind the ATV. The field areas we had to use a tractor because we don't have any specific ground breaking implement for the ATV.

Another place to check is Antler King. From what I was told (haven't seen it in person yet) they have a implement that you pull to the site behind your automobile (it's about 500 pounds and highway capable) and then, once to the site hook it to the ATV.

Don't overlook the "no till" option for clover plots. We made a number of plots this way and it is quite simple.

1. Spray area with Roundup mid to late May.

2. Respray a couple weeks later to get what was missed.

3. Use a "no till drill" to plant seed in dead grass.

Advantages:

1. Much less work.

2. No rocks to pick.

3. No erosion.

4. Less weed problem.

5. Dead vegitation protects young plants.