• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bio Spot vs. Front Line

Granny

Besides price what is the main difference between Bio Spot and Front Line? I thought Bio Spot was the way to go but the vet said to go with Front Line. Can Front Line be purchased anywhere besides the vet? Do they say Front Line because thats what they provide at the vets office or is it just that much better?

Thanks in advance,

Granny

I've never heard of (or used) biospot, but I've had good luck using frontline for the past 3-4 years. The ticks are THICK in the area I frequent North of Grand Rapids and when I apply frontline to my lab it keeps the ticks to a minimum on her and the ones that re on her usually don't get very deep at all.

I've purchased Frontline from Sams Club in the past for much less that what the vets charge for it.

Good luck !

Twitter

Let's see . . . my best analogy would be Bio Spot = 85 octane gas, and Frontline = 100 octane jet fuel. grin.gif

Frontline can be purchased online much cheaper than from the vet - check PetMeds or just google "Frontline price" and you'll get tons of hits on the search.

Hands down, Frontline is more effective for keeping ticks off your dog.

If I'm not mistaken, Biospot is an IGR, and based on Pyrethrins. Frontline is Fipronil. Fipronil is some crazy stuff.

I've seen ticks fall off of dogs. Dead as doornails. It's just a trip to the vet. It takes an hour. Lymes disease lasts a little bit longer than that.

Frontline for me..........

Save a penny today, pay one hundred later.

I like the Frontline, we have a lot of ticks around and it works, plain and simple. I just put my first batch on the other night. When I start to see ticks on the dogs again in about a month, I'll apply the second batch. Thats usually enough, by mid-summer the tick season slows down considerably. I've also bought the Frontline at Walmart but it didn't seem to do the trick as well as the stuff from the vet, so nowadays I always get it from the vet.

One thing to consider is what the product says about water and baths. I believe the Biospot says to reapply after bathing or getting wet. My experience was that it really didn't work very well. I buy the K9Advantix at the online pharmancy store in Canada, along with my heartworm pills. Saves the expense of buying it at the overly inflated price from the vets. I have used the Frontline too, but the cost is more then the K9Advantix and both seem to work well. I prefer the applicator that the K9Advantix comes in.

I have used Bio-Spot on my dogs for the last five years, and what I like is the fact that it repels & kills mosquitoes too. (West Nile carriers). It's true that if you shampoo your dog, you would have to re-apply it, but I work my Golden out five days a week in water and just apply it every three weeks instead of every month. I've seen ticks fall off dead, and I've not seen any problems with fleas in all the time I've used it. The Permethrin is a natural extract made from the flowers of Chrysanthemum plants, and the Nylar is the insect growth regulator that prevents flea and tick young from developing, killing them. For the price, I can't find anything wrong with Bio-Spot. My 2cents.

Pimp'neyes is right on with the Bio-Spot washing off. My dog's trainer wants all of the dogs that he trains to be on a tick and flea control for a couple of months before he takes them. He said Bio-Spot is effective as anything when your dog is not swimming regularly or getting baths, but during water training or exercise, Bio-Spot can wash off a lot faster than Frontline.