• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chufa for Turkeys

IceHawk

I am thinking of planting some Chufa in one of our food plots for turkeys. Anyone try this? If so what did you find good and bad about it. I'm a little afraid of trying it because I have read it grows a little better in warmer climates. If you have used it what kind of success have you had? Any info will be appreciated.

I tried it last year.

I was not impressed at all with it. I should add, that I did not do a soil test to confirm what I was dealing with, so I have to blame myself a little I think.

With that said though, I am gonna disc it up, and go with my other blends.

Borch- I have season B and My father has the C season. Another guy called and told me he saw 3 toms out there yesterday to. I'm pumped I'll give it my best shot hopefully things work out. Borch good luck to you also!!!

Icehawk - you may be right about the climate - in Alabama the first year we planted Chufa the birds went wild and dug most of it out of the plots. Obviously, a big difference in average temps, but the stuff really works down there.

Icehawk, can I hunt on your land as well?! Better bring your hipboots, all this rain is not helping matters much. I ordered the seed from the Co-op, and brought in the soil for the PH test. I ordered Ladino Clover, Chickory, Dwarf Essex Rape, Rye, I already have the soybeans, and some Imperial Clover left from last year. No need to worry about the Chufa.

You better get one of those toms, because when dad and I our done there will be one less for sure.