• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

getting a dog started?

minniwinni91

There are many good trainers here in Minnesota, I went to Elk River Kennels because they were close and Al Freberg said the right thing while I interviewed him.

What part of the state or country are you from, how serious are you in getting a dog trained, and any price barier you want to stay under?

I spent $1500 for 3 months of training to get Mandy at least capable of finding birds.

They said it would take another 4 months of training to get her into field trials condition, but I decided not to go that far.

Benny

I work at Dokkens Oak Ridge Kennels located in Northfield, MN (5 min away from the big steer)

We offer:

Puppy Program: Two week introduction to birds and firearms.

(if you saw ESPNs Makeover: Hunt Dog Edition, You would have seen part of the the grounds and what goes on during the puppy program; Aired April 17)

Intermediate: Retrievers - Ten week course with emphasis on waterfowl and upland game. Concentration on retrieving, delivery to hand, and obedience training.

Intermediate: Pointers - Twelve week course covering all the basics of pointing and retrieving to hand.

Advanced: Pointers and Retrievers - Emphasis on steadying, hand signals and advanced obedience training.

Special Services: Private lessons available for any phase of your personal training. Special programs for particular areas of performance.

Dokken's Oak Ridge Kennels

4186 W. 85th Street

Northfield, Minnesota 55057

Phone: (507) 744 - 2616

Toms a great trainer, and runs a class act.And I am sure we all appreciate your input and hope you can stay on with the forum.

Tom is more expensive as any one else just because he is Tom Dokken!

If you have the cash and don't mind spending it then he may be one of the best in the state.

Same with Terry Holsinger at the Horse and hunt club, he is expensive as well but is also a top trainer here in the state.

Benny

I'd pick and interview THE trainer who is going to train the dog. If you pick a trainer with a national reputation make sure you interview the actual individual who will train your dog. That person may be awesome and exactly what you are looking for.

I went to Steve Yozamp from Outback Retrievers, just south of St. Cloud. He did a very nice job with The Monster and also has trained many of my hunting partners labs and other types. He is not too large to not be doing all the work himself so that is the good part. the going rates appled I think it was about 400 or so a month.

Made a world of difference and the field work became a lot more enjoyable being able to handle the dog to birds.

Leech, you are absolutly right.I went to Elk river kennels to talk with Al.I knew in advance he was not going to be doing the actual training, so I asked to talk with the person who would.

I had both of them show me what thier dogs could do, then asked for some simple training with Mandy while I was there.

Mandy was the typical jumping lab, just loved to jump up to get closer to you.

Al had her broke of it by the time I left, the guy doing the training had to go work with another client so I missed his input.

But Al asured me he is still hands on in that he will evaluate the dog each week, then give guidence to the trainer.

But he is like the rest of the top trainers, they all have others doing the grunt work now.

Benny