• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How warm is too warm?

Kingfisher

I've ran 440 Fan's in just about any weather. T-shirt riding even. They are bullet proof motors, IMO. Just don't go lake racing with it. smile.gif

The problem this time of year is the hyfax. You can burn it up pretty good without snow.

Yep I have done the T-Shirt riding deal on my 440 fan ('95 Arctic Cat Z440)

I think that sled actually enjoys the warm weather as much as I do when riding.

Like chuck said, just dont do much racing across the lake or in a open field.

So I have a part '95 sled and part '01-newer sled lol. Just make sure you have good gas and everything is in working condition!

I concur, watch your jetting as it may be a slight issue with real extreme warmth. Move fast enough to get some air through the box and keep the track in some snow and you should be fine.

The real question though is to make sure you still have safe ice this time of year!!!! I wouldn't sled on anything ANYWHERE NEAR here!

the faster you go, the cooler the motor will run, being more cold air will be forced through the cooling fins and fan shroud on the motor and in the motor compartment. it's liable to be doggy due to they are jetted from the factories to run safely at -20 degrees, which reqiure much more fuel at colder temps because of colder air is denser air.

if you don't want to put on ice scratchers on the suspention to lube the hyfax find h20 puddles to run through to lube them.

if the motor reaches 140 degrees the piston rings will lose there spring retention and you will loose engine compression in the motor, and it will not return until you install new ring on the pistons.

don't let it idle for extended periods or putt long distances as the motor will not get sufficient cooling.

your motor came with 280-300 main jets and at 40-50 degrees you could safely put in 260-270 mains and regain some of the power lost to the warmer temps and a rich fuel mixture.

be safe on the ice so u can ride again another day.

"it's better to be judged by twelve than be carried by six"

hope this helps, don't overheat it.