• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Camera for Wifes Birthday

Hello All,

I have a couple questions. My wife has a digital camera now but wants something with better clarity and stronger zoom. Last year she also bought a 35MM Nikon that has different lenses for zoom, shading, and things like that. The camera without extra lenses was $400-$500 but I don't know what model.

Do they make a digital camera that she could use the same attachments on? I can't spend to much but are looking to see what my options are.

Duckbill

Duckbill My wife is a photographer and does 35mm now but is starting to work with digital. I think with Nikon you can do that, use the same lenes.She has Minolta and could not.To be honest call National Camera in Golden Valley they can answer your question. Because I'm not sure my info is 100% correct. Good luck, Bobcat45

I am also wondering if I go ahead and just get a seperate digital camera that doesn't work with the attachments from the Nikon what everyone recommends. I would be able to spend $300+ for right now.

Anyone have any that they really like a lot?

Duckbill

Take a look at the Cannon A95 it is a 5mp and is very highly rated and would be in your price range if bought online.Do a search on PC World or epinions.

If your not going to be printing pictures bigger then 8x10 on a regular basis then a 3 or 4 megapixel camera will work and is the most affordable range, people get carried away on 6,7,8 megapixel and there is no difference picture quality.

As far as zoom goes forget DIGITAL zoom it's worthless,it's the OPTICAL zoom you look for, most are 3X optical, although they do have 3 Megapixel 10X OPTICAL zoom cameras that are afforadable.

I like and use Nikon and Canon cameras I think they have by far the best lenses and overall quality.

I see that Fujifilm makes a 3MP 10X optical zoom for around $300. Does anyone know about the quality of these cameras? I have bought stuff off of hsolist before but I am wondering how risky it is buying a camera off hsolist incase something were to go wrong with it.

pierbridge is absolutely right on the megapixel size..the cameras with 3-4 megs will take a great flawless clear pic up to 8"x10"..the human eye cannot tell the difference with a camera above that!...(say 5-6 or above)those "big megapixel" cameras are for blowing up poster size pics..say 20"x30"(and still remain clear and sharp and the reason for those extra megapixels)...how many people actually do that?...very few unless ones a professional photographer or into advertising posters...(average people don't have a printer that would make there own pics poster size anyway but alot have in home printers that will make an 8"x10".. (myself included)as far as mixing adapters and filters ..i own a fugi s5000 10x zoom digital camera and incorporate an olympus t-con 17 zoom(total zoom is 17 times)(i never use the the cameras electronic built in zoom..interpolation junk)....the reason one can mix camera lenses is by the thread size...a lot of cameras utilize the threads that are the same...mine is 55 mm...one just has to check and make sure the threads are the same 55mm,52mm,49 mm etc...thats the most important part...to check out samples of the clarity of my 3.2megapixel fuji camera just scroll around my varoious postings and you'll see that a lower end megapixel camera will take very clear pics... my camera was about $350.00(much cheaper now)... my zoom lens another $100.00...guess that's what one has to pay for a decent camera with higher zoom capabilities..the higher zoom is invaluable for those long shots)...

Jonny,

You may be my go to guy for information. It sound likes I want the exact same setup as you have.

Her birthday is in a couple weeks and the ducks and geese have started returning so I would like to have her get some photos. We have a lot of buffies land in open water in the spring within 50 yards of our deck.

Where could I track down the same setup you have? You said that it was much cheaper than $350 now?

Also about the 7x zoom lense. She has a Nikon 35MM with extra zoom lenses. How would I go about looking to see if those would work on this camera or if I will have to buy a new zoom lense.

Thank you for all your help.

Duckbill

Duckbill

duckbill...you certainly can find my set up much cheaper then i paid a year ago.i just typed in my camera name on google and there's dozens of dealers that are all in about the same category.$239.00(low end).to much higher...like i said .approx. a hundred bucks cheaper then a year ago...these 2 sites i'm sending only as an example not because i've dealt with these particular people .just general information that may be of help to you...

http://everyprice.com/item.asp?item_Id=21488&101112G...also a zoom lens (olympus)t-con 17 ..you won't need any adapters for this zoom lens....it'll screw right on the fugi s5000 without any adapter rings or further adapting...

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/Product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Cameras+%26+Video+Cameras&category%5Fname=5gc39s156&product%5Fid=262512&cookie%5Ftest=1

as far as using lenses from your 35mm film camera to use on digital camera...again.if the millimeter like 52mm...55mm....75mm.etc is compatible they "might " work but a lot of unforseen variables and unknowns...in theory they should....hope this helps... grin.gif

Fuji FinePix 4.0-Megapixel Digital Camera

Model: S5100

This flexible automatic/manual digital camera lets you get up close and personal with 0.4" focus, and its high-performance 10x optical zoom ensures crisp and clear images.

4.0-megapixel CCD captures high-resolution images up to 2272 x 1704 pixels

10x optical/3.6x digital/36x total zoom

1.5" TFT-LCD; electronic viewfinder; low-light viewfinder function

Best Buy has this one for $315

I have never ordered anything that big from an online store. I have read some of the reviews and wonder if you get scammed sometimes.

It is a $100 difference though. Have you ever ordered from any of these companies online.

i purchased my fuji s5000 from "tiger direct".a very reputable on line electronics firm...(still get there catalog every couple weeks.).nothing but the best to say on there reputation...best buy is good yes..could have bought my camera from there local store but would have paid 50 bucks more....i got it cheaper from tiger direct.......as far as the fuji s5100....it's the "next"spin off of my older s5000.....little more megapixels(4...up from my 3.2)...more flexibility in settings ...however i use "automatic" mode generally 95% of the time anyway and my pics are very acceptible...but my camera has plenty of bells and whistles..almost too many...lol!...my camera is not designed as a simple "point and shoot'..however in automatic mode it generally does just that...the camera you mentioned is also a step above a point and shoot..it's closer to an SLRas mine is...the price you quoted for that s5100 is a great price...personally i'd get the camera you are talking about .....it does basically the same as mine...same zoom .only 4 megs...a step above........the latest version of my camera.they look the same next to each other...on those lenses from your 35 film camera.if you purchase step up or step down adapter rings (for polarization.uv filters etc)..i see no reason that they wouldn't work..you just have to find the right millimeter to millimeter adapters..55mm.to 52.or whatever.they are out there .just gotta find them on the net..and do some homework..gotta type in the nikon camera and model number and go from there... grin.gif....just a sample of the color from the fuji s5000..automatic mode,no zoom...

voyageursgrassybay_filtered4copy.jpg

a pic of a deer taken a couple weekends ago using full zoom...deer was about 50 yards away...one does loose some clarity on full zoom..

deer2copy.jpg

Jonny,

I can't thank you enough for helping me through this process. I am going to get one from a local retailer. I checked tiger and they were cheaper than local retailers but after tax and shipping would be about even. I would like to be able to look at it before I buy it.

Thank you again,

Duckbill

If you want to get her a camera body that she can use her Nikon lens on..... the cheapest Nikon Digital SLR is the D70. The body goes for about $900. If she already has some Nikon lens this is the way to go if you can afford it. (she is worth it isn't she? grin.gif I have one with some nice lens and it is a sweet camera.

Some advice though......my wife doesn't buy my guns, boats, fishing gear or cameras and I don't buy her sewing, clothes or jewelery...that way we get what we really want on the big purchases. The Finepix cameras are geat (i have one) but if she is into SLRs it may actually be a step down.

Here is a link to some of my pics with the D70 and a 2 Mega Pix Nikon. The 2-3 mpx take good pics but the 6-8 mpx pics allow for some nice cropping. Get her one of these and you will be smiling for a long time. wink.gif

http://www.hobbydog.net/images/pic_home.htm

If you are going to get it at Best Buy or one of those, go to there on-line site, you can buy from the site and pick up at the store and save some big dollars. My son bought a HDTV and saved enough to pay for the extended warranty, plus a free digital vcr.