• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions Please on Musky Rod and Reel

LEECH21

Thanks again for all the suggestions. If I didn't know what I know now I would have purchased a combo that wasn't right for the situations I'm looking for. Cooter, I checked out Cabela's web site and they offer a combo that includes a Abu Garcia 6600CB with a Fish Eagle II Musky Rod for $124.98. It features a thumb bar and bait clicker. So far this is my favorite. Does anyone out there own the same reel?

p023627hz02.jpg

Quote:

Don't waste your money on St. Croix rods either. They are over rated and you don't need to spend $150 or $200 bucks on a rod that they make!!! Go get a Gander Mountain rod for $60.

They might be more than you're willing to spend, but overrated these rods are not! In my opinion, St Croix musky rods are pretty much the cat's a$$ when it comes to musky fishing. A $60 gander mt rod should give you about $60 worth of service. If you're serious about the sport, why not invest in a rod that will last you the rest of your fishing days? The premier series only has a couple year warranty, but the rest of the croix's come with a lifetime. You can go through an awful lot of guide series rods in a lifetime, which will probably end up costing more $ in the long run.

Just my $.02

Leech- My bro-in-law has the 6600-he has no complaints.. I concur with I'll Take- go w/ the quality and durability of St. Croix- a little $ up front, but you get that back in the long run w/ a rod that will hold up to big brutes. Believe me, you will need the extra backbone that you get w/ a St. Croix, IMHO.. 8-Ball.

Thats the one, I used that combo last season and was very pleased with it. I went with the 7'6" rod - is a good all around rod. Put some 80lb Stealth, PP, or Stren SB on it and you are styling!

I think tomorrow I might drive to the Cabela's in Owatonna and pick it up. I figure the shipping and handling from ordering it would probably equal the gas it would take me to get it myself. One last question; Why do you guys reccomend heavier than 50# test line? Is it because a big musky can still snap 50 pound line or is it just plain easier to work with?

LEECH

I just got back from the Muskie Expo in Blaine and Reed's has a sweet deal! I picked up a 6'6" Shimano Compre rod (kinda short, but a good rod with a lifetime warranty) with an Abu Garcia ambassadeur 6600 SSC3 reel for $95 total with tax. I also got a free hat, a mail in offer for a decent tackle bag($9.95 shipping) and free line like 80# Berkley or Spiderwire spooled onto the reel for me from the great guys at the Abu Gacia booth kitty-corner from the Reed's booth. Heck of a deal, IMO. grin.gif

What was the verdict?

I use Abu Garcia reels exclusively. They are built to last and the service support for the brand is extraordinary. My all around favorite is the 6500C4 model. I also use C3s and C5s.

I have several St. Croix rods and they are a good value. Last year I got a 7'8" (?) Fenwick and use it at the end of the day. It is lighter and seems better balanced than my other muskie rods. I saw a lot of "Fig-Wig"? rods selling at the Muskie Expo.

A word on the shows. Do your homework and know the "actual" retail prices out there. The discounts are huge only because the show special prices are also! I walk up to the product I like, play with it until a salesperson approaches, tell them I'd like a discount from the "actual" retail, and always get one. A fair discount is 25%, a good discount is 35%, and a great discount is 50% (it helps to look crazy crazy.gif, smell bad blush.gif, buy the last hour of the event shocked.gif, and try to hand the cash right to the salesperson wink.gif).

Is it June yet? grin.gif

dsludge

Always try something new, always stick with what works. Yep, Power Pro braided 80 lb test.

Muskie line test:

Grasp line firmly on opposite ends and run center of line vigourously accross a vice jaw back and forth. The line should hold for three/four full passes back-and-forth before it breaks. All mono breaks in one pass. Most spider line breaks in two passes.

Leech- I may be wrong but I think it is because of it's diameter. Bigger the better, or at least easier to deal with. Takes less to fill up the spool and easier to untangle. That's my guess. I am new to Muskie fishing but have heard the same suggestions from a lot of the guys I've talked to.

Not only is it easier to deal with, but if you get a backlash the larger line is less likly to snap. you dont want to watch your $20 or more, lure sink to the depths. I have seen 80# break on a backlash though.

Quote:

Quote:

Don't waste your money on St. Croix rods either. They are over rated and you don't need to spend $150 or $200 bucks on a rod that they make!!! Go get a Gander Mountain rod for $60.

They might be more than you're willing to spend, but overrated these rods are not! ... If you're serious about the sport, why not invest in a rod that will last you the rest of your fishing days?...You can go through an awful lot of guide series rods in a lifetime, which will probably end up costing more $ in the long run.

I agree. St. Croix makes great rods, even the Premier series is great. The warranty may be only two years but the only way you will have a problem is if you do something dumb and break it by slamming it in the car door or something.

I have wasted a lot of money going the cheap route only to end up getting the better rod anyway. If I would have just gone ahead with the good stuff to begin with I would have saved quite a bit of money.