• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost one of the Family

saddie

Last night we found our golden retreiver not breathing. He got very ill January 10 th we took him to the vet and with some antibotics he was back to normal thanks to many prays from our 3 and 6 year olds. He was acting normal all day when my husband went upstairs he found him gone. He must have had a brain hemmorage. We miss him so very much and the kids are lost and so is his little sister[our choc lab] We will not be replacing him for awhile he was a great dog and couldnt be replaced. You never know when it will happen so give them the love they deserve. He was almost 8 years old. Thank god for pets I just wish he gave us more time with them. We miss you Drake There is now a happy ending. Goodbye Drake and welcome Hunter

Every time I see a post of a dog passing on I say to myself "Don't read it, it's only going to me feel sorry." Well I am somehow drawn to read anyways.

Saddie, keep the memories alive with the kids. Also give the other dog a hug and let her give you a lick on the face.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS THE RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER

Thanks everyone. Scumfrog I actually read that off the other thread to my kids last night I think it really helped them I know they can't wait to see rainbow bridge so i told them to dream about it. That is a great poem

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know it's a tough period to go through and don't know if a person actually ever really gets over it. The rainbow bridge is great, but I had to skip over it this time, cause I'm at work. Best wishes to you and your family.

"hooks"

Sorry to hear about your dog, it's pretty tough! It takes awhile to go through the process. We lost our little friend (Spike) of 16 years, a little over a month ago.

We are finally able to talk about all the good times we had with him...accepting it is hard, but we have come to grips with it, as I'am sure you and yours will in time....Sorry.

Saddie...I agree with whomever said we try to avoid reading these stories but yet, for some reason have to. Accept my condolences and pass on to the kids. I'm glad somebody posted the Rainbow Bridge for you to see. My vet sent me that several years ago when I lost my best friend to cancer...I still tend to read it once in a while. Although I still think of Lindsay often, I found it very helpful to keep pictures of her all over the place so she's still around in a way. After her passing, I thought I would take a break from having a dog, and that lasted all of two weeks. Riley, the yellow lab pup then came home with me and became part of the family. She is 4 now, and I can't imagine anything happening to her. Be strong and give your other dog an extra belly rub.

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You are right - they are a member of the family and my heart goes out to you.

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

I gave this to my kids when our 17 year old setter died two years ago-

There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.

For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

by Ben Hur Lampman

Billjr...that passage is touching, very touching. Our little friends ashes resides in a box on the shelf, along side the box of ashes of our other friend PeeBee. We have one more little friend that will join them when his time comes.

All three of them lived together, played together, grew up together and were a large part of our family. Our sons and daughter grew up with them.

We were going to bury them in the yard they so loved to roam, but if by chance we were compelled to move, we would have to leave them here and we can't do that.

Once they are all three together again, we are going to spread their ashes in a spot that we will always know and always be able to visit and remember. Dust to dust, ashes to ashes.

Thank you all for the help thru this difficult time. We did what I said we wouldnt. We got another dog tonight have been thinking about it and came across a english setter pup we couldnt pass up. My children are so happy and yes so am I. We still miss Drake and he will always have a place in our hearts.

Congratulations on your new addition to the family!! smile.gif Glad to hear things are working out O.K. with you and your family. I pretty much did the same thing after I had to bring my previous pup the Vet for the last time and found that a new pup helps ease the pain a little. Like you said a person never really gets over the previous pup, but I don't want to either. Got to go, my Sam is whinning and dropping squeaky balls on my lap (play time I guess)

Enjoy your new pup! and enjoy the memories of Drake.

"hooks"