• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice please...

farmislandeye

Hello i was looking for someone with advice on where to snowmobile. I am turning 16 soon and i am ready for the snow next year already. Me and my buddies are die hard fans and have a trip planed for winter vacation next year. The problem is where to go? We are back country riders and we live in minnesota. I would like to rent a nice sled and also stay at a hotel. Does anybody have any advice for where i can find mountains,hotels,and snowmobile rentals? Thanks!

I was talking to the owners at Beaver Bay Sports yesterday, up the north shore on Hwy 61. They have a great system of trails at their doorstep, rentals are new sleds each year, and cost is $175 for one up sleds, $190 for two up per day (weekend prices, call for availability, some are booked a month in advance) I was told they have fifteen sleds to rent out this year. Helmets rent for $5, and they even have bibs and jackets if yours aren't gonna work. They do require a $800 deposit because the rentals are not insured, credit card numbers will work. Don't know if you can swing this deal, but it would be a blast if you like trail riding. Some guys like the open lakes, and some like the roadway like trails such as the abandoned railroad grades. These are groomed three times a week, mostly backwoods and very scenic, with a variety of terrain and stops along the way to catch your breath or find some food. Hotels are relatively close by, too. There are lots of places to check out, Minnesota has a vast trail system, maps are available online, and from the DNR (and others). A whole 'nuther world out there!

my best advice would be to buy a used sled. with the bad winters of late, the used sled market is full of great deals. you can buy a very good sled for around 2500 bucks, for a higher performance sled, and much cheaper for anything less. northern minnesota always has great snow, and you can never go wrong reserving a place in the arrowhead part of the state. even after all this warm weather, they still have 2 feet of snow, with great trails.

If your looking to rent sleds try Twin Ports Rental and Recreation in Superior Wi. Prices are the cheapest Ive found and you can take them anyplace you want in Mn or Wi.

1-715- 392-5867 is their # and tell them Steve S. ( Northlander) sent ya. They have rented sleds to our Pro Staff and also let me use sleds for FM Gatherings if they were available. Ask for Darren.

If your looking for a really nice place to stay with great food when your up on the North Shore, North of Two Harbors check out the Grand Superior Lodge. Cheffrey from the Duluth Forum is the head cook and they donate to a lot of FM events.

Editors note: You can find Twin Ports Rental Here

farmislandeye-

"mountains, snowmobile, and hotels?" in Minnesota or you looking to go west?

Take your pick- Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Utah.

Where have you ridden before?? What are you comparing your future trip against?? What are you looking for in a trip??

You said backcountry riding, what do you mean by that?? Our definitions may be different and I would advise against to a point.

I've got a personal story about a friend, who lives & rides 99% of the time in MN, who went west and jumped off a cornice only to misjudge the jump, land flat, and break his back upon impact. He had to be helicoptered out of the backcountry and they later had to lift his sled out by helicopter. You can imagine this trip wasn't cheap.

Backcountry riding in the mountains almost always involves avalanche awareness. If you don't understand it, don't attempt it without professional help.

If you are willing to accept these risks based on previous experiences, by all means go because the riding is great I understand. You just have to be aware and use common sense.

Not to be a buzzkill, but if you are only 16 will anyone rent you a sled?

I would rent if you only go a few times a year. Insurance, up front cost, maintanance and depreciation add up to more than the few hundred you will spend renting

A great place to ride in Northern MN. is the Kabetogama, Rainy Lake area including Voyageurs National Park, there is some remote trails, inner-connecting lake trails, and miles of land trails. One remote trail called the chain of lakes trail has some pretty good vertical climbs, although short its a fun ride.

A couple of places do rent sleds, however I'm sure someone 21 or over would have to be responsible. This area of the state has pretty heavy law enforcement, so I wouldn't think of riding until you have a snowmobile safety certificate, and have it on your person when riding. good luck, guts