• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bending the hook for bluegills and sunnies

perca

I have been fishing verticle jigs like demons for sunnies and gills and was curious if anyone has changed the bend in the hook to improve hook-ups. I cannot remember if this was a previous topic. If you do change the bend, could you please discribe what it looks like and why you think it helps?

Anytime you change the hook angle you chance weakening it. The hooks are tempered prior to casting, but the action of casting , and the heat from it, can affect the temper. The only hook that I will atemp to alter is one where the bend puts the barb on the inside of the preceived circle and makes it hard to get point contact. And the hook has to be a fine wire hook to do this.

on only the light wire hooks, i do try to keep the pt. of the hook just above the line from the top of the hook eye to the bend in the hook. also,not sure if i read it or saw it on TV but, something i have tried and and still not sure if it helps; is to turn the hook pt. just slightly off center from the eye of the hook. the theory was /is that it sticks into the fish a little better with out some of the enterferance from the hook eye.

Yeah, I'll also bend some of the hooks slightly to the side on my horizontal jigs as well to increase the hooking percentage. Some of the horizontal jigs I like have perfect action, but the hooking percentage is horrible on some of them because of the gap and build. I found that by bending the hook slightly to the side that the point is more exposed and lands a better hook-set. I haven't had many issues with broken hooks. But, I can see where this could cause a problem. You will develop weak spots in the shank of the hook because the hook has memory and will almost "force" itself to return to the original position causing you to bend it back. And, after doing this a few times you will develop a weak spot and ultimately could lose the jig on a potential trophy fish. Me personally, I haven't experienced that problem with a broken hook...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I will oftentimes bend a hook out a bit to improve hookups. On the old Lindy Pounder jigs, you a have to bend that hook out to catch a fish. With fine wire hooks, you can easily bend them without weakening the hook at all. The other thing I often do is to pinch the barbs down - makes unhooking fish easier, and it's easier to keep your spikes alive on the hook.

I've started bending my hooks out slightly after reading my "Slab Crappie Secrets" book from In-Fisherman.

This is what is in the book......

Quote:

An additional tip that will help you hook more crappies is to open the bend of the hook slightly to increase the gap and increase hooking ability.

Another tip I thought was good but never tried was they put a very small rubber band around the eyelet & attached it too the barb on the hook. Supposedly making it snag-proof.(?)

I thought about that rubber band trick after posting.....

I don't think I'm going to try it. I assume you are counting on that rubber band to break when a fish hits it, what if it doesnt break, no fish? Not to mention all the little rubber bands floating around....

I really havent fished anywhere I'd REALLY need to use it.

But I do bend my hooks laugh.gif (never broke one either)

I have been bending hooks out for years, did'nt think it was any big deal, thought everybody did it?

Alot depends on the style and size of the jig you are using, some you don't have to even think about bending, others crowd the hook so much, it seems like it would minimize it's ability to get a good hook set.

I bend most of them and if the hook is brittle like on the Demons, just be a bit more careful and don't bend it out so far, just a tad.

I have never experienced a hook breaking from the careful bending...have broke a few by applying a little to much pressure...a little rust where it joins the body will cause it to weaken and break.

I would think the line should break before the hook, under normal circumstances? And the line should'nt break if the drag is set right, so in essence, all problems can be eliminated with a little diligence....or not! grin.gif

One good sunfish jig where i fish is a #6 fat boy. I missed a lot of fish until I bent the hook off center. After that it was sure fire. However, don't go too far off from center or it will be counter productive.