• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winch cable repair?

TV BOY

Help! my winch cable snaped by the hook. I tried a cable clamp to repair it but it is too big to fit into the roller guides and lift the plow high enough. Anyone know where to get the type of clamp( that holds the cable loop) that came with the warn winch. Or where to get one repaired.

I was looking forward to an evening of plowing and I pushed the in button instead of the out and snap! mad.gif At least I have a snowblower.

Try wrapping the plow cable around the push tube frame instead of using the plow hook bracket.This will give you more lift and helps from breaking the cable.The cable is a pain in the a%$!I now have Amsteel Blue winch rope,which is waaaayyyy better than cable,and stronger to.I used cable for years,but now that I have the rope,I'm never going back!

Go to your local electrican and have him use a electrical splice that has to be crimped, they are about 3 ins. long, cut it in half, slide one half on cable, then the hook, then slide the tag end of the cable into the splice and crimp, keep the other half for a spare, hope this helps. smile.gif

Ferrule......that's the thingy's name I was trying to remember before my last post. laugh.gif They come in diameter sizes, like 1/16-inch, 1/8-inch, 1/4-inch, etc., etc. I've had great luck cutting the cable quickly with a chisel and a whack from a hammer. grin.gif

I too just had to repair my winch cable. I went to Northern and they set me up with the cable clamps. I did look at the ferrule and was not confident that I would be able to get it crimped good enough as I do not have a bench vise or a bolt cutter to pinch it in. So far I am happy with the repair. I am still able to lift the plow high enough even with two clamps.

I cut my cable with an air cut off tool set on very low rpm's. Seemed to work well.

Northern also has the actual replacement cable for around $25.00. The clamps were less then $3.

Hope this helps.

You can use a chisel and hammer to crimp the ferrule down its length as well. Hold the chisel on the ferrule, between the two parts of the cable, and smack it a few times. Depending on the legnth of the ferrule, repeat this along the ferrule's length.

Hi TV Boy...

If it was me, I'd be looking at a new cable, or the new winch ropes out on the market. The repair with clamps or a ferrule may do the trick if all you use the winch for is lifting your plow. In a real world winching situation, the repair may fail on you sending a cable at you or someone else at very high speed. VERY DANGEROUS!! I've seen broken winch cables go THROUGH a tailgate. shocked.gif Think if that had been a human body? Granted this example is on a much larger scale, but the end result wouldn't be pretty either way.

It may just be a confidence thing on my part. But for me, once something like that breaks, it's gone and it's time for a new one.

Moose hunter is right about the safety aspect of the winch cable. A winch cable WILL most surely fail when you need it the most or under the most extreme circumstances. I work with some pretty heavy duty winches (80,000+) and would not compromise safety, but you don't always have to replace them. If the remaining cable is in good condition you can repair it. The key to cable repair is doing or having it done correctly. The ferrules you can buy are the very same ones used on a new or replacement cable. The trick is to install and crimp them correctly. If you are unsure how to, or don't have the right equipment, find someone or go somewhere that does.

I ran back to the hardware store at lunch and got the splice that you pound or squeze together. Now I just need to get out to the garage!.... a little 13 mo old is keeping me very busy tonight. crazy.gif

Thanks for all the replies!