• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slush tip

Ron Vroom

Just returned from a trip to Canada on a remote lake with 3 sleds which turned into a real ordeal after we got all 3 sleds stuck in deep slush just before dark. We were fortunate because our cabin was about 1/2 mile away. Here is what we did. We used the 2 car bumper jacks we carried to jack up all 3 sleds so the track was up clear of the slush. We used firewood logs we had cut and were carrying in a tub to put under the first sled and left the other 2 sleds up on the jacks overnite and returned to the cabin. It got below zero that night and the next morning we returned and had to do a lot of ice chipping to clear the tracks,(carry a rubber malet) but we got the machines running and turned them around to follow out our tracks which had iced up and were firm enough to support us so we could get out. 2 lessons learned here, first, carry a bumper jack with you, second, carry snowshoes so you can stand on top of the slush to work on the machines and hike out. Slush and snowmobiles is a recipe for disaster, if we did not have the jacks, we would still be there because the machines would have frozen in.

Good tip Ron!

Glad you made it out OK.

Trips like that also require (as dumb and beginner as this sounds) spare plugs, a good tool kit, tow straps, extra oil, spare good belt, etc. This stuff should always be in your sled regardless but it serves as a good reminder for all of us.

Wow, those winter lakers on B-side dont stand a chance now that the Catman has a sled wink.gif

One more thing i put in the sled is a bottle of isopropyl or 2 just in case i get some water in the gas. On most sleds there is enough room under the hood to store a strap or towrope leaving room in the small storage in the back for the other items. One thing i do have is a tank/map bag that i like, I can carry lakemaps, an extra set of choppers, and a few other small items and get to them pretty quickly.

Good luck on opener STF and leave a couple for me for the Bash smile.gif