• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

last deer in the state for 2004?

bigbucks

I decided to go bowhunt the evening hunt on the 31st just to give the season some closure. It's becoming a personal tradition. I really didn't expect to see anything, but had four antlerless deer come out right at dark. One gave me a 30 yard shot that I was lucky to make with a strong cross wind. I prayed that it would be a good hit & my prayers were answered, although I hit jugular instead of lung.

I thought it was a yearling doe when I shot, turned out to be a nice button buck. It's been a dream of mine to shoot one in the last few days of the season some year, but didn't expect to get one in the last two minutes of the season. I either shot the latest legal deer of the year in the state, or tied somebody I would guess. It was so cool I didn't really care that the walleyes wouldn't cooperate the next morning. That's my first ever December bowkill. It wasn't by any means intentional, but I got one deer with my bow in each of the four months of the archery season.

Anybody else score late or have some close calls last week?

Cool. I picked up my salami sticks and such from the locker on New Year's Eve and they'd had one brought in that morning too. A few diehards were still at it I guess. I was pheasant hunting that day, but maybe next year an ultra late season hunt will be in order...

bigbucks:

hey. i was fortunate enough to stick one about an hour before you. had plenty of light to gut her out and drag back to the stand. had a 2 yr old doe come in where i was hunting down near winona. double lung shot at 25 yds. she ran 80 yds and was done. what a perfect way to end the year. already revved up for next fall.

congrats on your year end harvest as well!

now it's finally time to dust off the auger!

Congrats Bigbucks and Scruffy,

I was out until the season ended but I did not see anything. There was a pile of fresh snow up by LOW where I was hunting and they were not moving very much yet but it was good to close the season out the way I started it, in the stand.