• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE Series Pro Staff

I would just like to introduce to everyone the ICE Series Pro Staff. These are the guys who have been working hard to make sure the ICE Series runs smoothly and are the ones getting everything organized and ready to go. They will also be at the events setting up headquarters before sunrise, giving product demos, taking people out to productive fishing spots, helping out at weigh-in and whatever else they can do to make sure everyone has a fun and enjoyable time at the events. You will most likely recognize these names from the forums and they have really enjoyed helping everyone here and they are also looking forward to another successful ICE Series. This is just a chance to put a face to a few of the names and learn a little about some of us. Don't be afraid to stop by and say hi if you see us at an event or just at a local lake. Ice fishing is here and have fun!

2005 ICE Series Pro Staff...

FrankDeLuca2-225x345.jpg

Frank DeLuca aka "Surface Tension"

Fishing has been a passion of Frank's since his boyhood. Frank went on to expand his fishing and ventured onto Northern MN lakes along the Canadian Border. Frank's a fanatic when it comes to fishing and can often be found pursuing Walleyes, Crappies, Gills, Inland Lake Trout and in search of trout on Designated Trout lakes. Frank is also an accomplished Lake Superior Fisherman with almost 30 years of experience Trolling Superior. "Over the years I feel I've found a lot of pieces to the puzzle for finding fish," Frank goes on to say, "Looking for the rest of the pieces it what keeps me going back for more."

Frank is a Pro Staff Coordinator for FishingMinnesota.com and Ice Leaders.

At FishingMn.com he moderates the Duluth/BWCA/Range forum along with the Expert Equipment Forum.

A devoted father and husband, Frank says, "I see that passion for fishing in my kids eyes and I can't help to look back and see myself in them."

RayEsboldt-225x345.jpg

Ray Esboldt

Ray has been an outdoorsman since the word go. From the days of his father introducing him to panfish, squirrels, and geese to his passions now of bass fishing, ice fishing, and turkey hunting, Ray always sets out to learn a little more about the game.

Ray is an active participant in FishingMinnesota.com and is a member of the FishingMinnesota.com and Ice Leaders’ Pro-Staffs. To quote Ray, "What better way could you spend an idle moment than discussing fishing and hunting at FM.com?"

Ray has participated in well over 100 bass tournaments with numerous 1st place finishes. He is the current president of the Lunker Landers Bass Fishing Club and was club champion 3 of the last 7 seasons.

Ray hopes to see as many people as possible participate in the Ice Leaders events this year. It’s a great educational opportunity and one darn fun social gathering.

TomHerman-225x345.jpg

Tom Herman

Tom, being an avid fisherman and duck hunter, is also a former Brainerd Area guide where he specialized in night fishing on Gull Lake. He now devotes his time to tournament fishing and educating people about the sport he loves. Although he has his degree in teaching social studies, he now works for a major sporting goods distributor where he has gained vast knowledge of outdoor trends and products.

Tom is a Pro Staff Coordinator for FishingMinnesota.com and Ice Leaders and also helps coordinate the Ice Leaders ICE Series events held across the Midwest.

Tom has an extensive fishing background and is a very well rounded angler. Whether he's chasing bass in a boat or walleyes through a hole in the ice, Tom has a knack for catching fish!

MJ-225x345.jpg

Matt Johnson

Matt spends most of his time helping others learn about the great sport of fishing. Whether Matt’s on the ice guiding someone on a hot crappie bite, out in a boat casting for bass in a tournament, or writing fishing articles, he always enjoys what he does and makes it one of his goals to advance the sport of fishing.

Matt is a Pro Staff Coordinator for FishingMinnesota.com and Ice Leaders and also helps coordinate the Ice Leaders ICE Series events held across the Midwest. Matt is also an ice fishing guide in the Metro Area Minnesota where he specializes in panfish, as well as out on the Horseshoe Chain where he targets catfish. When Matt's not guiding or at an Ice Leaders event, you can find him out chasing crappies and bluegills across the state of Minnesota.

Matt also spends a lot of time on FishingMinnesota.com answering questions and giving feedback in the forums. Matt’s ability to effectively communicate with others and his ambition for the sport of fishing is where he excels. Matt’s passion is out on the ice, and ice fishing is where his skills shine. The ice fishing season is twelve months long for Matt and he works hard at promoting the tranquil, yet adrenaline filled sport of ice fishing!!

ChuckNordahl2-225x345.jpg

Chuck Nordahl aka "ChuckN"

Chuck is an avid outdoorsman, but his true passion is fishing. He has spent most of his life chasing his favorite fish, the Walleye. However, he spends a lot of time chasing all species of fish throughout the state and west-central Minnesota where he resides.

Chuck enjoys sharing his knowledge on FishingMinnesota.com and he is a Pro Staff Coordinator for FishingMinnesota.com and Ice Leaders. He is also active in the Leading Edge Tournament Series where he is President of the league in 2004 and 2005.

Chuck is an avid walleye tournament angler throughout Minnesota, and he's proven to show his multi-species angling on the Leading Edge Tournament Series where he has a 2003 Champion title, 2004 2nd place title and several top finishes.

RickPaquin-225x345.jpg

Rick Paquin aka "Rick"

Rick is the founder of FishingMinnesota.com and Ice Leaders. Rick had a vision to take fishing to the next level and that vision has taken off and has touched thousands, even millions of anglers.

FishingMinnesota.com is a place where anglers, of all levels, can go and learn about the great sport of fishing. Whether you're a beginner or an expert, FishingMinnesota.com will have a seat for you.

To say Rick is an avid fisherman and hunter would be an understatement. Rick grew up enjoying the sport that he loves and he continues to teach and mentor his children and other young anglers about the excitement that fishing brings. Fishing is a sport that everyone of all ages should enjoy and one of Rick's goals is to help bring fishing into the family environment. Take a kid fishing, or an uncle, aunt or grandparent.

Rick is a multi-specie angler with a lot of experience across the Midwest as well as down through Texas. Rick is die hard ice fisherman and works hard at making Ice Leaders and the ICE Series successful.

If you were to talk with Rick, you'd know that at FishingMinnesota.com, "We Have More Fun!!!"

PeteRiola-225x345.jpg

Pete Riola

An avid angler his entire life, Pete Riola is the epitome of an ice fishing addict. Pete's style is to run and gun fishing spots never staying in a spot for more than a half hour. Unless of course the fish are biting. As Pete says it "I have to find the active fish....I can't wait for them to come to me". Because of this mentality Pete will drill as many as 100 holes in a single day.

Pete became a serious fishing addict while working at Thorne Bros during the early 90's. In 1999 Pete founded FishFever.com. Pete and his fellow ice fishing addicts Chris Munchow, Eric Peterson, Cory Guttenfelder, Mike Fudali, Patrick Donelan, and Jason VanErt had been filming fishing for years on the ice and in the boat. They had so much good fishing video that someone had to bring it to the public, that someone was Pete. Today FishFever combined with FishingMinnesota delivers fishing video to 1000's of anglers each week. The videos are designed to entertain and educate anglers. All of Pete's video is real...no re-creations.

In a typical year Pete will begin his ice fishing season in Ottertail County in Northwestern Minnesota on Thanksgiving Weekend and he'll conclude the season sometime in mid-April on Rainy Lake or Red Lake in Northern Minnesota. Asked to give his favorite ice angling experience Pete said "Well it's a toss up between hunting Lakers on the Canadian Shield or catching hard water smallmouth on Chequamegon Bay in Northern Wisconsin. I love catfish, walleye and panfish too."

Pete lives in Ham Lake Minnesota with his wife Anne and their two children Sammy and Julia.

BrianRogers3-225x345.jpg

Brian Rogers aka "BDR"

Brian has been an avid angler and hunter ever since he was a boy. Whether Brian is out on a hardcore pheasant hunt or in search of trophy walleyes, he enjoys the outdoors and the thrill that comes with it. Brian has years of experience out in the field, out on the water and out on the ice.

Brian has a lot of drive for the sport of fishing and everyday is a good day to fish in Brian’s eyes. Brian is a well-rounded angler who has success on a multi-specie level. Brian also enjoys helping others learn about the great sport of fishing. Whether he’s taking his kids out on the water or someone else new to the sport, he enjoys sharing his skills and excitement for fishing. Brian is on the FishingMinnesota.com Pro Staff and also spends a lot of time helping others by answering questions in the forums on the FishingMN site.

Brian has open water tournament experience and will also be guiding this winter. Brian is one of the headquarters set-up directors at the ICE Series and he will also be taking people out on the ice helping them catch fish during the events. Brian is looking forward to another successful ICE Series!!

DennisSteele2-225x345.jpg

Dennis Steele

Dennis Steele is a walleye and catfish guide on the Minnesota River and operates Minnesota River Guided Fishing. He has been fishing for over 30 years and has been concentrating his on- water time on the Minnesota River for the past 15 years. He logs over 160 days on the water every year.

Dennis is a registered pro member of the National Professional Anglers Association, and competes in several small tournament series. He placed first in the Leading Edge Tournament Series at Horseshoe Chain in 2001, Mississippi Pool 4 in 2003, and placed fourth over all in 2003 and 3rd ever all in 2004. He also fishes the Belle Plain Catfish League and won the channel cat division in 2002. Dennis has also competed in the Ice Leaders Ice Challenge Event series.

Dennis attends and shares his knowledge of fishing at many outdoor events and is a Pro Staff Coordinator at Fishing Minnesota.com. He also organizes the Carver Clickers and Cats and Cool Cats on Ice catfish gatherings sponsored by Fishing Minnesota.com and IceLeaders.com, and was president of the Leading Edge Tournament Series Metro Division in 2003, Treasurer for LETS Statewide in 2004 and vice president for 2005. Dennis is the Ice Leaders ICE Series director for 2004/05 season.

SteveSutherland2-225x345.jpg

Steve Sutherland aka "Northlander"

Steve has been fishing off and on for over 25 years. Once Steve caught his 1st fish at age 10 he was "Hooked" for life. As a former college athlete (Basketball and Track), Steve has taken that desire and dedication from sports and channelled it into his fishing. Steve now uses his abilities to help both youth and adults learn and enjoy the Sport of Fishing.

Steve is what is known as a "River Rat". From the Walleye Opener in May through the end of the season in March you can find Steve on his home bodies of water, the St.Louis River and Lake Superior, chasing his prefered fish the Walleye. Recently Steve has taken his skills and tested the waters in various tournaments and leagues. In his 1st Walleye Tournament Steve and his partner (Randy Marnich) placed 3rd in the Grand Slam Walleye Tournament. Steve also participates in the Minnesota Multi-Species Tournament Series.

A very active member of the Fishing Minnesota Pro Staff Steve organizes several Fishing Gatherings, Lake and Stream Clean-ups and Fund Raisers for those in need each year. You can catch Steve on the Duluth/Bwca Forum or weighing in your fish at this seasons Ice Series Events. Steve looks forward to meeting and talking with each one of you and hopes you have a safe and fun 2005.

PaulWaldowski-225x345.jpg

Paul Waldowski

Paul is an avid fisherman who spends as much time as he possibly can in pursuit Muskies. When he’s not chasing after the “King” of the freshwater fish, he can often be found chasing walleyes throughout the state, or Crappies on Upper Red Lake.

Paul is currently the Pro Staff Director for FishingMinnesota.com and an Ice Leaders Director. He is also active in the Statewide Leading Edge Tournament Series, both as an officer and participant and is looking forward to his fourth year in this series.

Paul spends a lot of his time promoting Fishingminnesota.com, Iceleaders.com and I.C.E Series. He heads the team of FM Pro Staff Coordinators and is also the main contact for its Sponsors.

JimWernimont2-225x345.jpg

Jim Wernimont aka "Jim W"

Jim is an avid fisherman, both open and hard water. His expertise is across the board from walleye to stream trout. He lives and breathes stream and small river fishing for all species of fish, but particularly, trout, smallmouth, walleye and sauger. Jim loves fishing new waters and it would not be a surprise to find him fishing across the great state of Minnesota near your home. He takes pride in expanding his knowledge base on fishing/new waters, as well as fishing with new folk.

Jim is a firm believer in spreading the word on good fishing practices and ethics towards maintaining and conserving our wonderful fishing resources.

He is founder of Trout Day. An event held each Spring in the heart of SE MN’s trout country. This event strives to introduce the young and old to fishing while reminding those who fish just how important it is to hold on to what we have.

Jim is a Fishing Minnesota Pro Staff Coordinator, who moderates several forums on FM. He wants to remind you to "Keep the rods bendin’"!

...2005 ICE Series Pro Staff.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Great post. I have been an avid fisherman for over 25 years. I have gained some valuable insight from this site and the information each of you has shared. Dennis has been instrumental in Mykal and myself learning about the horseshoe chain. He has willing shared a great deal of information and hotspots for walleye, crappie, and of course the infamous horseshoe cats.

Thank you Matt for introducing everone from the staff. it has been my personal pleasure to meet several of you guy's and I hope to get to meet each one in the future. Thanks again for all of your efforts to make this the greatest site of fishing. JACK. AKA Nels.

Good that is my personal best as well I kept a 16.5 and a 17.75 in 2000 out of a small lake in kandiohyi county that normally dont produce crappies like that I put them in my parents deep freeze until I could get them to the taxidermist to mount. My brother came over one weekend and put his boat in there garage to charge up his deep cycles and the dumb @$*! unplugged the freezer when he plugged in the boat charger since there was half a cow and part of a pig in there that unthawed over the weekend my dad threw everything out including my freezer paper wrapped trophys. I have fished long and very hard especially this last season only to release every one that has came close a couple 16.5 this past ice seasons which was astonishing I hope they grow up for next year lol I'm holding out for a 18 incher and I refuse to go to red lake to get it. I wish I would have had a picture like so many others why is it ya always have a camera with when ya don't catch nothing and every time you have to release a big pig you left it at home? Oh well gives me a great excuse to chase pannies this open water season Nice Fish Man!!

Don't worry EYEHUNTER10, Red Lake won't give you that 18 incher. You can get lots of 14 inchers and a few VERY SCARCE 15 inchers but anything bigger than that is almost winning the lotto. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but its probably a 1 in a million shot.