• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

studding track

Neighbor

Yes you can stud any track.I would stay away from puting screws in it,first of all they will never stay in there when you spin the track and when they rip out they will probably ruin your track.

Howdy Neighbor...

Sorry. I just HAD to say that... grin.gif PLEASE stay away from sheet metal screws in your sled's track!! Trust me when I say, it will bring you nothing but problems and damage.

Studding a track can be quite time consuming but its not that tough to do. And the results can be very satisfying. If you can get the back end of your sled high enough, you can get the job done without having to remove the track. I've done this many times.

Basically with "push-through" styled studs, you cut (not drill) a hole using a inexpensive track cutting tool. Push the stud though the track from the inside, install a backer plate and a nut. Taa-daa... One down. Most tracks are divided up into 48 sections by the lugs. So right off the bat, I'd recommend a minimum of two per section. Or 96 total.

BUT... before I can get into details such as length, number and type, I need a bit of info from you... What kind of sled are you going to stud up? Is it a short or long track? How deep are the track lugs? Do your skis have any type of carbide runners (wear bars)? And finally, what is your intended use for this sled? Trails? Ditch banging? Ice drags? Utility?

With so many choices of studs out there, a few questions must be answered to get us going in the right direction...

boilerguy...

VERY GOOD point!! Heat exchanger and tunnel guards are a must!! I was sort of getting to that but you beat me to it. Better to say it twice than to have to deal with a chewed up heat exchanger or shreded tunnel....

Don't let the details scare you away from studding. What boilerguy and I have touched on are just a few things you need to pay attention to, to avoid damage and further expense. Track studding is really no big deal, just pay attention to the little things and you'll be just fine.

Nieghbor, I'm not trying to scare ya. Like Moose hunter said, it's really not that big of a thing.

You're local dealer should be able to hook you up with a decent stud combo. Let them know the type of sled you have and they will know what type of protectors you will need also.

If you ride on hard pack or ice often, studs are a world of difference. You have a ton more control of your machine. I've noticed better cornering but WAY better stopping ability.