• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Studding Tires

BigDaddy

I'm getting my wheeler ready for its first season on the ice. I have vbar chains for the rear and will be studding the fronts. I think that it should be a great combo.

What have you used for studding tires? I was just planning on using sheetmetal screws. If you've used these, what size would you recommend?

Thanks!

BigDaddy...

Although the hex head sheet metal screws will "work". In my opinion, they are not the best product for the task.

I can't even begin to count the number of tires I've studded up for motorcycles and ATV's. Hours and hours with a screw gun, a bag of studs and box of bandages... My filleted hands aside, by far the best product for your application are the commercially available ice studs. These look like a sheet metal screw, but the heads have been "dished" out to give them a cookie cutter like appearence. This provides the stud with more edges and you more traction. These are a bit more expensive than standard screws, but with the traction they provide, you won't need very many. Especially in a "front only" application.

Here's a couple tips from Moose-Hunter-the-ex-ice-racer that may help...

If this is your only set of tires, plan on new ones for next spring. ANY studding is going to be real hard on the tires.

IF you have a second set of tires for warm weather riding and these will be dedicated ice only, try a little drop of super glue on each screw/stud when you drive them home. This lessens the chance of ripping the tire and helps keep the studs where they belong.

Prepare for flats. For some reason, studs or screws tend to ease their way to the inside of a tubeless tire. Even with a "liner" of some sort, you will loose the air at some point.

DO NOT use canned tire sealant. It's not worth the effort or the mess when it comes to tire changing time. Some shops won't even touch them if a sealant was used. And I know from personal experience, you won't enjoy it either.

Use studs only as long as the tire lug is high. Less chance of a puncture.

There's a fine line between too many and too few studs. You need enough to provide traction, but not so many as to restrict the studs penetration into the ice. In this scenerio, less can be more.

And finally, if you use studs or screws, they will cause damage to your trailer or truck bed. If you have a plastic or spray in bed liner, drop a sheet of plywood in first. On the trailer, a protective sheet for the wheeler side would also come in handy.

This may sound like a nightmare to some, but ice studs can be a real blessing when it comes to glare ice. As soon as my Otter project is complete, my Polaris 700 will be getting the traction treatment post haste!!

Have fun, stay safe...

LAST MINUTE ADDITION!!!

Caution!!! Studs and/or screws WILL without a doubt do damage to black top and concrete!!! ANY wheel spin will at the very least scratch concrete and may create gouges in asphalt!!! And if you've recently sealed your black top drive way.... shocked.gif Guess what you'll be doing next summer?

When you put the screws in is there a better chance of getting a flat? I know the screws aren't going through but even putting holes in the lugs seems risky. Probably I'm to much of a wuss, how many people use chains on the back and screws on the front?

KidWalleye...

Sounds like for your application chains may be all you need. Even if the screws don't go all the way through, just the weight of the vehicle on top of them may be enough to cause a leak. For plowing chains are the hot ticket. Just keep your speed and wheel spin to a minimum.

Ole...

Thank you!! You're too kind!! I just felt the need to throw my .02 out there so all my filleted fingers wouldn't have gone to waste.

NOTE: There is one important thing I forgot to mention... See my original post of the addition...

Waltercraft,

What posts have I replied with negative comments?? I may have posted a couple when the whole political thing was going on, but generally when I disagree with someone, I refrain from making any type of negative post.

Sorry if you don't agree with what I have to say, but I really don't know where you're coming from.

Ole

Maybe I'm missing something, but if your atv is 4 wheel drive why would you need studs or chains?

I've never used either and I don't have any problems, so I was just wondering if the chains or studs are only for 2 wheel drive or if people use them for the 4x4's too.

Ole

"Maybe I'm missing something, but if your atv is 4 wheel drive why would you need studs or chains?"

Early ice fishing when there is no snow a 4WD ATV will spin, it won't turn very well and stopping is troublesome. When I go to pull my fishhouse onto the lake, you need grip and chains or studs do the trick. You will know the difference. Hit the throttle and you're gone.

Plowing my driveway or plowing snow around my fishhouse, I will get the job done much easier on glare ice.

I would also add that if you add hex screws, make sure they are not too long to penetrate the inner tire layer. That could do damage and create a leak. I have custom tires on my wheeler with paddles that are 3/4" long. I added 1/2" screws. I don't see how it is possible a tire will go flat.

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but if your atv is 4 wheel drive why would you need studs or chains?

Ole

When it's glare ice, you need something for traction. It doesn't matter if it's an ATV, Snowmobile or the human foot. In fact, I've gone spinning across the lake in my pickup before. Cool and scarry at the same time.

Moose-hunter, thanks for the great reply.

I think that I'll give her a try with just the chains in the rear. I'm not interested in new tires in the spring or redoing my recently sealed driveway.

If I have trouble steering I'll reconsider the studs.

I guess if your pulling a perm on bare ice I could see it, but I pull my portable on glare ice and really don't have any problems. All 4 tires on my atv turn though, that might make a diffeence too.

Ole no one is saying you have to do it and it is great that you don't have any problems on the ice. But there are several of us that like them. I used my dad polaris a couple times with out studs and it was great in snow but the minute I hit straight ice it spins out to fast. When I got my Honda I put them on right away and couldn't be happier. I have all the traction and it is much easier to steer.