• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fished Balsam last night. About 5 inches of ice over 28 feet of water. Good clear ice. School of crappies came through on vex, maybe a half dozen fish. They were just sniffers no biters. Packed up early. Three other guys out last night by Big Island.

Seems the bite has tapered off on the lake the last two years. I noticed last year that the pressure by anglers had gone up quite a bit. I'll try it again Wed. night.

You're right last year was the worse year I have had out there ice fishing. The pressure has gone up alot in the past years. I think it is because of the limits, you can only keep 10 in MN, and lack of snow more people can get out there. But on the other hand maybe they just moved to another part of the lake. Well that's my 2 cents haven't been out there yet, maybe this weekend. Were they driving 4 wheelers out there? Good luck

Yes, there was sleds and atv's out there. You could be right there in another part of the lake. The spot I fish gets no pressure but me and couple friends. We fish off by ourselves. But there is alot of un-chartered water.

I do really well on East Balsam in spring for crappies and gills. Got a two pound slab last spring let her go. I tried it over there last winter. Sight fished everywhere cause it's sp shallow and never marked, caught, or saw a fish. I should try it again though.

Never see anyone fishing on the backside of Big Island either. I see those guys down by the no wake channel going to East. What are they after? The only thing I caught down there where bass.

I do well in spring on east also. The guys by the narrows are after sunnies and crappies, there is a big flat that comes out there. I think they are fishing the edge of it. I use to fish the west side of Big Island by the a-frame, found that spot a couple years ago. Then word got out and I had bunches of people packed right in along side me. Nothing there last year. There are a couple guys that fish the back side, but it's shallow so I think they're after sunnies. I have a couple spots marked on my gps from this summer that I'm going to give a try this winter. Good luck

It's a tough bite out there. If I didn't live close by I would proabale not drive there. But I do, so I will be out there on Sunday as well, listening to the game. Can't catch anything sitting on the couch. Good luck

people have had luck with bluegills in the shallower bays with some pike thrown in, but the walleye and crappie bite has been slow to non existant from what i have heard and experienced in my outings so far this year.

Had good luck tonight, caught quite a few slabs, lost a few and released some really nice ones. Biggest was 14 inches she went right back down the hole. Caught her on a 1/16th ounce jigging spoon packed with maggots. Caught one nice 16 inch eye and some nice perch and one 9 inch gill. The fish were picky and tight to the bottom.

Seems the perch every year are getting bigger. I released all so hopefully next year they will be bigger. They were all around 9 inches. Not many guys out tonight. Less shacks out there than last year. Was nice to finally get on a good bite.

I hear ya on the late bite. I usally hit them at dusk and then till 7 o'clock then bite would taper off. At first I thought they where eyes. I think with the lack of snow they still maybe be holding in weeds. East Balasam had really green weeds in it still. But no fish in them.