• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kennel advice?

dakotaB

I recently purchased my first home, so now I finally have a place to keep a hunting dog. This will be the first dog I have ever owned. I am planning on buying a GSP in the spring. In my back yard there is a large sandbox approx 18'x6'. I am going to put my dog run in this spot, but I was wondering if I needed to put down a concrete pad or if the sand would be ok to leave there. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

You need to put down a concrete pad. The sand will collect urine and feces and end up being a petri dish for bad germs not to mention it will stink to high heaven. Also if your dog ends up being a digger it will dig underneath the fence.

I think Cement is better, but I've kept dogs on dirt without any problems. They won't be as clean as dogs on concrete though so remember that if you are ever going to bring them in.

If you do use cement, it should be brushed rather than a smooth finish. This is much better for their paws.

As to the tree, you will probably cut off its water supply if you put hard surface all around it and if it dies then what will you do? Bite the bullet and cut it down now rather than having a mess of your kennel later...

I'd think that if that tree is older, it's root system is well established and stems out in all directions. Just make a buffer zone when you pour your concrete, and keep the tree. The dog will appreciate the shade come summer days.

I would just take out most of the sand and then put in wood chips. The city were I live has a big pile that is free for the taking, I just shovel the old stuff out once in a while and go get a truck full of fresh, new wood chips.

Another advantage of a concrete run is it will keep your pups toenails well groomed and you won't have to bother with clipping them. Also, slope your concrete run slightly and it will stay cleaner and be easier to keep clean. You will still need to scoop if the dog does that job in its run.

Dakota

I use Patio blocks for my dog runs. Just level out the sand and lay them down. Pitch it away to one end. I use the 9"x18" blocks and put the rough side up. It's still easy to clean and spray down. Leave the tree and put a wire cage around it. That way it can grow and the roots can tip the blocks if they have to. In ten years you can still move the blocks and do something different if you like. I like to put the side wire in 6" from the edge. Stops digging and keeps the edge trimmed up nice. Cement blocks are cool and good for the pads and toe nails. I use a heavy rubber mat to lay on if they want to get off the cement and still be outside. I think its better for their joints.

Griff guy

Great idea Griff. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier, especially since I just got done laying down patio pavers by my back deck a month ago. Makes perfect sense for the space I have to work with and it will be much easier than wheelbarrowing concrete in from the front curb. Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Once again this site has proven to be extremely helpful.

I used patio pavers and left 1/8-1/4" between them and swept "just add water" concrete mix over the whole thing and hosed it down lightly with the garden hose. That sealed them up pretty good but if I need to move them I don't have to bust up 3" of concrete. It's been about 5 years now and I have only minor cracks.

I made my lab an elevated 8 x 12 kennel run out of wood.

I used treated 4 x 6 timbers for the ground posts. For the floor joists and and floor, I used non-treated standard 2 x 6 framing lumber. It has been up for about 18 months now, and has held up great. The air circulates underneath for a nice cool place to lounge, and it nice and easy on her elbows.

Clean up when necessary is a breeze, just spray it off with a hose.

This summer, it was a bit sunnier that I liked for her in the heat of the day, so I made some rafters out of 2 x 4s and covered them with that heavy material they (Shoremaster) use for boatlift covers.

I'll see if I can scrounge a picture to post.

This is what I have, but not what I want.

I have a little elevated deck next to the house by his dog door where he can lay off the ground. His kennel is all ground except for his deck because I was hoping that he would take care of business there. I knew that he would not do his business on concrete or patio blocks. His run is currently about 8 feet wide by the house and angles out to about 12 feet wide and about 18 feet long.(weird shape because I didn't want him peeing on the A/C. But as it turns out he won't even do his business in his kennel run. What I want to do is make is kennel run bigger that runs out to a nearby wooded/over grown area that has trees, because he always goes out to the none mowed area to do his stuff or where his is able to pee on something.(maybe I should put a tire in his kennel rungrin.gif that would take care of him being able pee blush.gif) As part of the dreamed about larger run (both of us probably dream about it)I want to put patio blocks on part of it and leave the grown over part for him to be able to take care of business. I like the patio block idea because it really isn't permanent and can be taken out if you sell or for some other unfortunite reason.

"hooks"