• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Labradoodles?

Big Dave2

Anyone know anything about Labradoodles? Anyone here have one? I seem to find a lot of general information and history of this breed but never any reports or comments about how these dogs hunt.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Just to give you a brief background into why I am looking at this breed:

I have allergies, not severe, I am able to stand the family pet(cocker spaniel) in the house as long as we keep her coat shaved down. I am looking for a hunting companion, I am not a die-hard, just like to go out and chase a few roosters now and then. I would also like to do a little grouse and waterfouling too.

Might this dog be for me?

Thanks,

Dave

Bigdave... I've read a limited amount on them. Without trying to sound too snobby, I really don't get why people would pay on average $1000-$1200 for what in essence is a "mutt". I hear more squawking about having to pay $500-1000 for a good lab, but you know what you are getting with them. It is far from the crapshoot of cross breeding. They aren't truley a "breed" in the sense of registering them, but more the "dog du jour" for the suburbanite who wants a "lab" that doesn't shed. I have a client who has one (and they paid big money for it) and it is an admirable (but large) pet. I wouldn't put him in any category rating intelligence or natural ability. That would not be to say there are not those out there that can handle hunting, but how would you know? Being an unregistered dog, how would you trace the lineage to verify competent dogs in the breeding? It seems to me also that you are neither getting the top labs nor the top poodles to do the cross. The top dogs are used to produce purebreeds. Also the breed relies on "hybrid vigor" to minimize inherited disorders. Remember these dogs will be subject to all the same malodies as a lab or standard poodle. With all this said, do A LOT of homework before purchasing one. I understand you are buying this dog due to allergies, but if you can already handle your cocker, I would make a suggestion, I'd try and steer you to a field bred English Cocker or do a search on the internet for one of the few remaining kennels of field bred American Cockers. I am currently kicking around the thought of owning one of these. Also don't rule out a hunting dog that will be kenneled outside. That would rule out you allergy problems...

Good Luck in your search!

Ken

You dont want one. They arent hunting dogs. They are intended as housedogs for people who want a dog that supposedly eats less, dumps less and is easier to care for. They cost a fortune too. I have my lab outside. He dont mind.

To me it looks like a marketing thing, as in we'll breed poodles to labs and come up something that will apppeal to the yuppie crowd, and then charge then big bucks. Last summer I happened to see a guy at the Sam's in St. Cloud, he was showing puppies to a couple. Come to find out they were laberdoodles, first time I had heard of them. As I was talking to him, he also mentioned that they cross poodles with golden retrievers! Can you say 'puppy mill'? Wish I would have questioned him more on what he was trying to accomplish.

If you want a poodle, get a poodle, if you want a lab, get a lab, don't promote these shysters.

I would 2nd labs4me suggestion of checking out the field bred English Cocker. They are an awesome little dog that has all the drive and desire of a lab, but range in the 30 lb. range, so are easier to have in the house.

As the other replies have stated, the crossing of these labs/poodles is not a good thing and you can't track the background of these dogs. There are enough problems in the purebred dogs without adding mixtures into the pot.

My 2 cents

For a hypo-allergenic hunting buddy, look up standard hunting poodles. I've hunted behind 2 of them. Great looking dogs (when you don't shave them into rediculous looking shrubs) that are smart. proven, and hunt well.

Seriously, do a search for hunting poodles......

Labs4me,I have had lots of labs and think there great but also now have a field bred english cocker. Great little dog and great little hunter. Like all dogs though...pros and cons. Generalities but some things the cocker does better and some things the labs do better. Let me know if anyone needs any additional info on the breed.