• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OH No not the Zander!!!!

ironman

Kare 11 eleven news is been promoing and will be showing a news story about some restaraunts who have been selling people Zander instead of walleye. Oh no can you believe it?! For those who dont know the Zander is the European version of the walleye and if you were to catch one you probably couldn't tell the difference. the obvious difference is the lack of the white patch on the tail and the black spot on the back of the dorsal fin, Other than that they look like a pale version of the walleye. There have been efforts to stock the Zander in the US, they didn't really take..I do believe however that there are some scattered around, some lake in one of the Dakotas I believe. I'm sure without the skin they look, feel, smell and tasted exactly the same! Who cares. 11 Kares that's who. What's next...are they gonna try and slip us some sauger?

I think your right as far as the taste of the fish but I think the point is the restaraunts are serving the zander which is obviously cheaper for them to purchase (by two or three dollars) and charging us the walleye price.

Its the same as if you favorite gas station was charging you $2 a gallon for non oxy premium but was filling there premium holding tank with regular. Gas is gas right, looks the same smells the same?

They put some in Spiritwood Lake out by Jamestown ND back in the mid 80's or so. I don't think they did very well. Some were hoping they would get huge but I don't think they survived. I use to get some dany northerns from shore on that lake but that was before the Zanders were stocked.

Personally, I'm not one for misrepresentation! When I purchase walleye! I'm expecting walleye. Period!

If I have to pay more, that is fine!

Basically, If I'm paying for what's advertised, I better get what is advertised or your stealing from me.

Its fraud. Plain & simple.

Not sure if many people know this but Zanders can get huge. I've seen pictures of 40+ inch fish which push well over 30 lbs. I think I saw the pictures in a In-fisherman magazine a while back.

I've eaten the walleye three times at the Axles in Mendota which was tested to have 100% walleye and I must say, "it's good"!!! Too many times I've had walleye dinners and afterwords said I'd never eat there walleye again due to either bones or tasting fishy.

Hey efgh, I grew up on a farm many years ago. All we had were Fords, wouldn't allow a John Deere close to us.Couldn't put up with the "puk, puk, puk" all day long.

O.k., apparently I'm alone on this one. I watched the story and I dont remember them saying that they charged the same price only that it was listed as walleye. Now if they are price gouging now that's a problem...but would it also be a problem if they got a cheaper batch of walleye...prices do flucuate...and didn't alter their menu price? If I'm not mistaken when you go get a Hardee's burger it's whatever price it is whether the daily price of beef has gone up or down, what if Hardee's found a supplier that was cheaper but didn't alter the price? Are we then expecting businesses to only make profit margins that we have deemed.."appropriate". I think that there are a couple of simple solutions....both tackled on the menu. Just list either the menu item as Walleye/Zander...or put an asteric by walleye and then print that walleye may be substituted with zander. The gas comparison isn't analagous because your getting a different grade fuel for a better grade price. Even in the story last night they said you could only tell the difference by testing the DNA...so your getting the same quality...just a different name. I've also had poor tasting walleye and it wasn't zander instead...I bought it myself from a grocery store in Arizona, when I lived there for a spell, it was horrible...it probably was also on a truck and in storage for longer than it should have been. I personally think there are more pressing issues today than this and not worth the public scrutiny and definitly not wasting any public money on persuing this issue. Must have been a slow news day.

On a lighter note...it would be neat to catch one just to add it to my list of fishies caught.....ecspecially if it was 30 lbs or better.

On the subject of price gouging. Now understand that anyone who says they made it rich in running a restaurant is a dowright liar. Restaurant business is not one of riches. When beef prices went through the roof as they lifted the mad cow ban the majority of restaurants took a huge hit when Beef price went up 50%. The majority of restaurants just took the hit as they did not want to scare off patrons. The subject of Zander being used widespread is more of an issue of restaurants trying to find a suitable solution for a product that "must" be on the majority of minnesota menu's while patrons will not tolerate higher costs. Earlier this year Canadian Walleye took a huge jump from around $5 a pound to Over $8 because of lack of supply, currently I pay $7.35 for it, but than again I immediately upped my price on my menu. Just some info for the people. Personally if you put them side to side you would not know the difference.