• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Vexilar question

poorbiker

Does anybody know how old a FL-8 Vexilar with (4) depth ranges would be. It also has the built in battery indicator gauge at the top right with the little red lights that show how charged the battery is. The guy doesn't know age and says it is a FL-8 Pro Pack with the 19 degree transducer. Thanks

That sounds just like my Hondex FL-8. I have the 30, 60, 120 and 240 (and alarm) that is not found on the newer units from what I recall. Great flasher, had it since the late '80's!! I've use it all year in boats and ice fishing. Same connections as a Vex.

I've got an older Vexilar with the same knobs and adjustments on it. It is probably one of the first Vexilar's after they switched from Hondex. I still use it today. Snatch that thing up if it's a good price. I like my unit better than the newer ones because there is no flashing of the colors. I'm not sure if the motors were faster back then or what, but it is a crisp distinct view of the various colors and lines. I've compared it to many of my friends units and it by far is a clearer display. The newer Vexilar and Marcum units have a little bit of flashing or flickering to them. I'm assuming the the battery status indicator isn't built into the actual Vexilar. It's probably one of Vexilar's older battery status gauges etc. About the only disadvantage is you don't have an IR button, but I've been able to fish next to Marcum units as well as other Vexilar's without problems.

Good Luck!

I agree with the last post about the color definition on the older Vexilar units. I have a FL8SLT and really like it compared to my friends newer models because of the color definition. The only downside is the lack of the IR button, I have issues fishing too close to other people. Fortunately, I have a Fish Trap Pro, and typically fish alone so it rarely is an issue...

I agree with chuck I have the same Hondex FL-8 from 1980 somthing and it works great. Can use the same accesories as the vex. But the IR botton is nice in a crowd or with a buddy.