• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How big is too big?

CrappieJohn

Quote:

Now occasionally I'll drill a small systems of holes in my spot for moving tips or flashing around for targets. These posts will defintely keep me more aware of the possible hazards with larger holes.

MT, I in no way expect you to be glued to your child every second. I'm also sorry if you took offense to my comments. As far as blame it on the parents....? I don't know, my above quote stated my intention. If there's kids around, I'll watch them like a hawk. I'd feel terrible and also somewhat to "blame". Enough said.

I also use 10" holes in my house and find it to be the ideal size to fish out of, fish are much easier to steer up into a 10" hole than they are in a 8" hole.

I have 7 grandchildren and they get the bucket test before being allowed to fish in the house without a leash on, one granddaughter is on a leash when she is in the house and is not allowed near a hole that does not have the catch cover securely in place.

I believe it is a parent or guardians responsability to be aware of where that child is at all times if they bring them into that environment.

If you allow the kids to play outside, an adult should inspect the area that they are going to play in and keep them in that perimiteer under supervision untill they tire and want to go in.

Theres no better feeling than to watch the expression on a childs face when they catch and bring in a fish on there own.

Ron

Personally my favorite size is the 9" auger. I love them, to me they are perfect for a all around use. They aren't to big and they aren't to small. From a portable to a permanent house a 9" will suit my needs to what ever I want. If I catch a fish that wont fit through the 9", well for one I would probably force it to fit and by then my pants would be full of (you know what). So anyways it wouldn't matter, I would also be happy to say I lost a fish that couldn't fit through the hole.

Also in a 9" the vex has a harder time fitting through (although I have never tried it but I have gotten close) and my frabill round tip-ups don't fall into the hole and go bye bye.

My dad and I also have a 10" auger and in our 10x16 permanent house a 10" hole is awesome. You have so much freedom in them, you can fish with a vex in the same hole as your line and don't have to worry about a fish tangling up in it that often. For me its just nice to have that space in the permanent.

In a portable a 9" is great and a 8" will work just dandy. I don't like really big holes when I'm fishing out a portable. For one they are easy to slip into, they take up so much space available inside, and its so much easier to lose valuable equipment down them.

My next auger I buy will most likely be a 8" Eskimo Shark for the portable. Unless I can see how a 9" will benefit me more since I don't personally own a permanent house to tote around.

Ohh and BTW on early ice like 4" and less I normally borrow our neighbors 6" hand auger since we don't have one and don't like carrying our big augers around on thin ice. The time it takes to hand cut a hole through 4" is almost just as fast as warming up and cutting a hole with the power auger. Plus we don't get out on early ice that often.

I have 2- 10" augers and I will never own anything smaller than a 9". Who ever says a augers over 8" should be outlaw that is ridiculous. What your kids and don't blame others on the ice. When ever I fish a 8 inch hole I feel like I am looking through a straw. Everyone that says that a 8 is enough sure it is. But I have lost too many big pike at LOW when the ice gets over 3' thick. What ever everyone has the opinion but to say a auger over 8" should be banned is just plain stupid.

Hi CrappieTom,

I live just north of Minnesota. Halfway between The border and Thunder Bay Ontario. I prefer a 10 inch hole. The pike and lake trout are quite large. Since I have been living on this lake (last 12 years) there has been three times where I could not get a lake trout through a ten inch hole. Also a few times where the trout barely fit through. Therefore I use the ten inch hole on these lakes.

When fishing walleye and other species an eight inch hole is fine.

Roger Mayer.