• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

using leaders??

lucky lure

I have always used a swivel but the problem I have with ice fishing is the short rods. Either you have to have a shorter leader or the swivel kinda beats up your line guides when you reel it up so I think I may go to a blood knot this year.

If you are putting a jigging spoon or jigging rap on your line, definitely, definitely, definitely put a swivel inline between the mainline and leader. It eliminates the line twist you get with these baits, and will save you a huge headache.

About the only place I use a swivel is with swimming lures. Lures such as a Chubby Darter, Nills Master Jigging Shads, or a Rapala JR or jigging minnow tend to build up line coils. One you stop jigging and if there is coiled tension on the line the lure will spin slowly at rest. I think this looks odd to the fish so I like to use a swivel to eliminate this problem.

You do not need a very large swivel to eliminate this coiling effect, the smaller the swivel the better. If you’re a fan of Fluorocarbon leaders having a couple pre-tied with a quick snap at the end allows for a fast change-up of rigging as needed. A Lindy leader wrap is a handy deal to keep leaders in check. Another good system on the ice is a wallet style leader and hook keeper.

A great leader material for toothy critters like pike is the ultra thin Titanium wire. Check in with a good fly fishing gear retailer and you can get a small spool that will make a lot of 18” to 24” leaders. It is not especially cheap, but feeding lures to pike isn’t either. A Titanium leader will last a long time without any damage. I feel it is well worth the added expense.