• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pheasant hunting this week or week end any one?

yeah, my brother in law and I are coming down tomorrow morning to the BP area(thanksgiving in arlington) for an AM pheasant hunt. My other buddy with the good hunting dog is busy so we will be running my golden (only 2nd time out ever) so any help we can get would be nice. Are there any areas that are better than others? (Jordan/BP/GI/Arlington) I think we are going to stop first near Jordan in the MN Valley State Park area?? My buddy said he hunted there opener and saw a few birds. Also, I am worried about 3B deer hunters..will I need a blaze vest for my dog?

Muskieguy......

Scott, Im going to SD possibly this weekend. Waiting to see if my buddies are comming. If you want to join that would be great. If I dont go to SD then it will be Windon/Slayton area Fri and Sat. I usually find birds, and a ton of land to hunt. Id much rather go to SD, but I wont go alone again this year. Ill give you a call this evening. I have to work 3 to 11 pm. Justan. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Reject all Activists ! "

I was out today near Benson. The birds are enjoying that new skim of ice and taking full advantage of it. Had lots of birds running deep into the cattails on ice. My poor dog just wouldn't stop going in after them, the ice breaks with his wieght and his feet and legs are very cut and scratched up. Had one rooster nearly knock my boys hat off it held so tight, scared the bejeebers out of him and he forgot to shoot. It was a nice day out today.

I have a couple of maps, and have hunted north of Windom a few times. I wont be going to SD, so Ill call you. We plan on leaving BP around 7am on Sat. Heading for Slayton, might stay out there, depends on the how good the hunting is. If you want there is room. It will be: me, a friend, 1 chessie, and 1 springer [10 months old ]. Both dogs are mine, I just picked the springer up a couple of weeks ago. Had him out once, and not even a good scent of a bird. Might go to Caribou tomorrow, got to get him on some birds. Ill talk to you later. JRK. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reject all Activists ! -----------------------

Was out today abit south of morris, didn't see a one, but didn't hunt real hard either. it was raining and crappy, got wet right away again, didn't learn my lesson last week. There were a few other hunters out on the public land, but I hit some private next to it and didn't even flush a hen. I imagine they were holding tight in the cattails, and am embarrassesd to say, but I lost interest in the hunt and decided not to head in the thick stuff as it was all still alot of water.

When its wet and raining out, do the dogs have a harder time picking up the scent?

I decided to throw the dummy(wings attached) a few times when I got back to the truck,usually I trick her to the other side of the truck and then throw it in the opposite direction when shes not looking, and she seemd to have a hard time finding it(alot more than usual). Shes not the greatest bird dog (gets bored I imagine) but if theres scent, shes usually pretty good at getting after it.

Also she has a bad habit of eating deer dump, and gets side tracked I think from that, like ,looking for more. Is there any thing I can do about that. If shes close enough, I will get her away from it, if I see her eat it, I will scold her, then I have to give her a drink, hopefully washing the stink away, so it wont mess with her scenting birds, but not sure if it does much good or not, and not even sure if this is a major problem anyway.

HELP! heh, heh

thanks

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Got up four hens in the cattails today in SouthCentral MN between Faribault, Waseca & Owatonna. They were scattered and held tight.

I get a bird or so up almost everytime out. Plenty of them are roosters.

I'm thinking about heading boilerguys way this coming week.

Does anyone else get out during the week? Might be nice to have some company for a change.

Have Lab will travel cool.gif

PS. Wouldn't mind a SD trip if someone needs company.

Rick and Tim and eveyone else. Saturday was tough. Wind, rain, snow, (we still got our mail, however) we still managed to kick up some birdies. Sunday was great. Shot my roosters pretty quickly.

I can't get out during the week. This darn job is really interfeering with my hunting. But, if ya wanna come out over the weekend come on out. The more the merrier.