• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stuck plugs

zelek

Question

I finally winterized the boat this weekend. I bought it this spring so this is the first time I've prepared it for storage.

Everything was going smoothly until it came time to change the oil in the gearcase. No matter how hard I try I can not get the drain plug or the lube level plug to budge! I can't imagine why the previous owner or his mechanic tightened them down so hard--talk about frustrating!!

If two guys can't get them to move even after putting a wrench on the screwdriver for extra torque....what do you do??? Anyone know of any tricks or do I have to drill it out??

11 answers to this question

Those plugs will except a fairly big screw driver. The tip should be the full width of the plug. Now if you already had the proper size screw driver and can't get it to budge its time to take out the impact driver. If you don't have one go to the hardware store and get one.

If you can lay the outboard on its side, use a block of wood under the lower unit, if not brace the lower unit. Make sure the impact driver turns counter clockwise when its struck. Do this by pressing down, you'll see the driver turn a tad. Give it a a couple good blows with a hammer then check to see it it broke loose with a screwdriver. Keep repeating and keep checking to make sure it turns counter clockwise.

That's happened to me twice, I believe I used a huge screwdriver and a hammer to get it loose. Maybe that's not the recommended way but when you are as frustrated as you probably are it feels good when you finally get it off. Or use a smaller screwdriver about half the size of the screw head and wedge it at the right angle and then hammer. Good luck...

Leechlake, you won't believe how many times I did same exactly as you..... grin.gif

makes me wonder why they torque that screw so much.... confused.gif

Anyway the scrwdriver at an angle and some tapping with hammer did it for me almost all the times. Once only I had to drill screw and remove it what was left with needlenose.

Do they make a slot type tool for a ratchet wrench made to fit large type slots like this? and what is PB Blaster? I've alwayed used the largest screwdriver Sears carries for this project but it still is on the small side. There should be a better alternative that fills the whole slot, anybody know of one? Bob

hitthebricks, PB blaster is a penetrating oil. The head of the plug is sealed against a plastic washer so it would be almost impossible for the penetrating oil to reach the threads but it can't hurt I guess. I think both my large screw divers are Stanleys but any BIG good driver should work. I know I can put a heck of a lotta torque on the plugs with them.

The impact driver puts extreme downward pressure along with rotation, I guaranty it'll work.

Thanks for the input fellas--much appreciated.

I borrowed an impact driver from one of the mechanics at work last night and was going to give it a try on Thurs when I get back up to where the boat's in storage.

I just found out though, that my father-inlaw has already rounded someone up who has one and they are going to be working on it in a few minutes.

What a nice guy!