• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Firearm Safety Class

loebs93

I am a 21 year old college student interested in getting into the hunting scene. The only thing that is holding me back is my firearms safety card or lack there of. Does anybody have any advice on what to do to get this card? Does it cost money, is it hard to obtain and when it's offered are just a few questions I have. Are there classes that are for adults like myself so I'm not sitting in there with a bunch a 12 year olds?

I would be a first generation hunter in my family so I have lots to learn.

Anything that comes to mind would be great.

Contact the DNR and ask them for a list of intstructors that offer the accelerated courses in your area. The DNR should be able to answer any questions. That should be your starting point.

This link will tell you what you need to know. Good Luck!

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms/index.html

Welcome! The options for firearms certification are greater now than a few years ago. Your community no doubt has a number of instructors. Some classes are geared toward adults, but the message is universal. Contact the DNR Information Center to get a lead on the classes or instructors in your area. You can check the DNR HSOforum for up-coming classes and if you read the Outdoor News, classes are listed there also.

Most of us started as kids handling firearms. You are at a disadvantage in that respect, but you have an advantage in that you haven't picked up any bad habits. The most obvious advantage you have is your motivation and attitude.

I'll put out a couple feelers also, if I come up with anything I will be back.

Again, welcome.

About 5 years ago, my Brother-in-law and I needed to get a firearms safty certificate to hunt Elk in Colorado, and since I work nights & week-ends, it was impossible to schedule a class with an instructor. I called the DNR & they gave me the number of a guy in Burnsville, I think, who sent us a learn-at-home booklet. After we were finished, he met with us and gave us the final 'exam'.

I think if this is still an option, more people would be able to take advantage of the opportunity to be certified.

Good luck and welcome to a fun pastime!

Yes, welcome to a world of sleepless nights, empty checkbooks, and crabby wives/girlfriends! grin.gif

But it's a world that will take to some of the greatest places and produce some of the greatest memories. wink.gif

Good luck!

If you haven't yet checked out the DNR HSOforum, here are a couple links.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms/index.html

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/advanced_hunter/index.html

I would recommend that you look for a basic FAS course. I haven't seen one yet that did not have some adults participating. While the kids in class may not be the classmates you would prefer, your presence in class will provide them with a positive role model. You can also look for an advanced hunter ed course near you over the winter. If you are interested in hunting and shooting sports, both classes should be of interest to you.

I needed a certificate last year to hunt out of state. I just did all the course work online and went and took the test with the kids. I did have to go the field day and was the only adult, but it wasn't bad. In all it was very easy and didn't take much time. The DNR HSOforum should list instructors in your area. Good luck.

loebs93-

If you are a student at the U you may want to look into a class offered by the Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife. Its called Hunting and Fishing Traditions. Its taught by George Spangler and he does a great job. There are two portions of the class, a lecture where you'll learn about the the history of hunting and fishing in the US and read some work by famous outdoor writers (great for a hunting newbie like yourself). Also, I believe you learn stuff like how to build a rod, tie flies, string a recurve bow, etc. In the second part George takes the class to the gun/archery range and you get experience shooting rifles, shotguns, and handguns, as well as archery. At the end of the class you will have earned a firearms safety certificate, and you get COLLEGE CREDIT FOR IT!

Not sure I can post the link but if you google "george spangler fw4104" you'll get two hits, click on the second one and check it out. Great course and George is probably the smartest and nicest guy on campus.

brandon