• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone put blocks under fish house runners?

mnboy26

Just wondered about this, have heard of people chipping out thier houses for several hours because they are frozen in when they go to move the house...i was thinking about a 2X4 under the length of the runners on my house... my buddy thinks bricks under the 4 corners will do it....any suggestions will be appreaciated.

thanks

craig severson

fishing on rush as soon as the water gets hard

I ALWAYS use blocks under the house. My house does not have runners, but it still prevents any chipping. Plus, if your blocks to get stuck in the ice, they chip out easily. And if you can't get them out, the worse case seniro is they are wood and don't polute the lake and will either float or decay. Just use a couple small scraps of non treated 2x4's in the corners of the house, should solve any problem of freezing in.

I like to block up the house at least 6", especially if I'm not there every few days to raise it up. The laws are clear, you have to remove all your blocking when you remove the house. We all know what happens when the slush comes up and all your blocking is froze in. Well heres what I've done. Spray a little Pam in 5 gallon buckets then add 6" of water and let them freeze. Flip the bucket over and give the bottom of the bucket a whack. Theres your blocks, one in each corner with a thin block of wood on top the ice blocks, cover the ice blocks with snow to keep the sun off them. When you pull the house off give the blocks a couple hits with the chisel to bust them up.

In our permanent I use 4x4's and 4x6's as the base layer when I set the house down. They are between 4ft and 8ft long. Then if I have to raise later in the year I use 2x4's. I use the bigger ones because they are easier to chip out than the 2x4's especially if they are buried in ice. I got these from my previous job as they were the bases for shipping crates.

You almost always have to block a house. I use 2X4 or 4X4 depending on the amount of snow on the ice. After I move the house I take my ice spud and usually a couple hits agains the side of the block and it will pop loose. I also have heard of guys using masonry bricks under there house then they leave them in the spring the ice melts and to the bottom of the lake they go. I would guess thought that that is still considered to be littering. So get blocks and a spud and you will be set.

I put an 8" concrete block under each corner of my 8' x 12' house. Being a fairly big house it would be a nightmare to try and chip out of the ice. When it is time to move the house, I just jack up the house, get the wheels on and chip up the four blocks. Concrete blocks can break when using a chisle, so I also carry one of those small propane torches along (the ones that you can screw a disposable 2# bottle on) and then you can use it to melt the ice around the blocks and they come up fairly easy. Of course that method would not work as well with wood blocks.

Which ever blocking method you use, it's easier than trying to free the whole house when it's frozen down, but I would recommend just putting them on the corners, if you run a 2x4 the whole length it seems like you are kind of defeating the purpose.

And if you leave anything on the ice, the DNR will find you. I have seen the CO on the lake making a diagram of the lake and marking where houses are complete with your name and address, or drivers license number on it so that if you leave anything behind they know who it was that left it. Bottom line, don't leave anything out there, it's illegal, and being a responsible sportsman, just not right.

Dan I would suppose that would be ok. But, I don't think that would work good the chances of find enough rocks the same size and shape would be pretty slim. If they aren't the same size your house will be unlevel and probably rock around on you.

You would probably be fine with rocks, if you find four of equal size and height...that sounds like too much work though. We have always used treated 2x4s and a chisel. If there is a lot of snow we'll just stack two or three 2x4s to give us that extra height from the ice. When it comes time to take the house off or move it we just chisel the ice from around the blocks a pry them out. So far they have popped out every time.

Please, please, please try to remove everything from the ice. It's an eyesore, illegal and a big safety issue for snowmobilers as well. Snowmobiles and rocks or worse yet spear house blocks left on the ice just don't mix!

Wow 12 responses in less than 12 hours....great forum...I will be blocking the house up for sure....as not to offend anyone I have decided to go with 2X4's under one corner a block of ice under another a rock from the shore under the third corner and just for good measure my wife under the fourth corner.....if i leave her frozen in the ice will I get a fine???? and do you still think she will want the remote???? grin.gif

i dislike 50 degree days greatly

craig severson