• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minkota died?

MIDNIGHT777

Question

The other day while on Mille lacs my minkota trolling motor (bow mount 55 lbs thrust) died. It just completely quit working. I know it is not the battery since the battery still powers the transom mount trolling motor. I rechecked all the connections and nothing. The motor is just over 2 years old.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Matt

9 answers to this question

There should be an inline fuse on the positive cable, did you check that? Otherwise, sounds like a job for fishlectronics. (minnkota service center) I know this service place well, as my minnkota and now motorguide both fail me quite often.

you may have seized due to corrosion in the brushes. With it on tap the motor casing with a rubber mallet and see if it gets going. If it does. unplug it from its power source and pull out and clean the magnets and brushes.

I had something like that happen to my 2yr old minn-kota. On mine I found out that it was the female plug end. After a while every-time you plugged it you had to fool with it to work. So we just swapped the it with the one in the back of the boat since we don't have a electric motor back there. Works like a champ now. (well except for the auto-pilot yet but that another story and another $110 for some-other day)

So thats something to have in your back pocket too.

Simmer down, it can be fixed, and if you're nice about it, chances are pretty good you may even get the parts for free, personally I and quite a few others have recieved great customer service from Minnkota, in fact they have my business for sure when I buy a new motor because of this. Do you have a indication to the battery indicator? does it show how charged your battery is? if it does it's not the fuse, but may still be a board problem, did you try something other than you pedal to operate the motor? it not it could be your pedal. I had a relay go on mine, minnkota took care of me, and I installed the new board myself with no problems, and I'm no mechanical or electrical guru, it was easy, of course you could probably get some one to do it for a fee too, but it was easy.