• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Share your success Strategy

dwag70

Share your success stories with a man that got skunked

Spent 4 days trying and have a last ditch effort coming up 3rd weekend in Zone 1. The deer still hiding in the corn are they still running the does. Going to be in the sandstone duxbury aera for last weekend and need to know how things are progressing so I have some idea how to fill my tag!!! confused.gif

Sucess stragegy for standing corn....make then move out. Sit on the edges and use scents and calls to draw them out, it's your best shot. Also, you can stalk the corn on windy days, or organize a drive for the field. They won't come out of there, I mean it's perfect for them, great cover from us, food, shelter from the weather, other deer close by, why would a monster buck want to leave that paradise>

I'm listening here too. I've spent several futile days hunting in state forest land near Brainerd only to see white flags of deer. My favorite one was a deer that was feeding towards me and another hunter had seen her cross the road and was now TROMPING into the woods hoping to catch up to her. Of course this sent her off like a shot only 10 yrds or so from my shooting lane.

That was opener and I haven't seen or heard a single deer since. Hoping to salvage a 3rd weekend in semi-private land. I have permission to hunt it but so do many people and at least 5 deer have been taken out of the area within less than a square mile.

Another quick tip is trying to use doe and fawn grunts. They seem to make deer feel at ease and calm. Basically you are saying there are other deer in the area and "it's ok, come closer"! I have had does come in just to see what the other deer was doing, and also the sexed up bucks come charging in trying to score a date. They might work well for you.

I had a buck, say 40 yards from me Saturday and just as he was walking out of the woods into the field, I grunted and he just stopped in his tracks. He had been following 4 does and he just stopped dead. He looked to where I was and then he trotted back into the woods. NEVER followed the does.

What happened? Did I do something wrong? I never saw him again??

confused.gif

You probabally didn't do anything wrong, like Amish said, he probabally circled downwind or got scared by a dominant buck....how close were you and how loud did you grunt?? If you grunted loud it would be like someone jumping out and yelling BOO at you....also he may have looked, not seen another buck and got freaked out...who knows, how loud and long did you blow?

Well, I just got a report from the guy that owns the land I am going to hunt Corn is still standing but one of the guys I hunt with took a nice 10 pt buck Saturday morning. IN THE OAK WOODS!!! Go figure! Hopefully they start to harvest this week. I have a back up spot in an area with out corn .. Dont know which way to go now ? Can't wait for Friday !!!!!

When I bowhunted and had to contend with standing corn I found that the afternoon was a better time to be closer to the corn in order to see deer coming out. As mentioned above, it's a paradise in there. The only thing that can make a deer more invisible is darkness. Everything seemed to happen in 1/2 hour. This isn't science but it was what I had cofidence in when standing corn was a factor.

My strategy. Go second weekend with a friend and his family. Get whatever stand is left over. Get luckier than

dump and bag an 8-pointer. Second year in a row. Fill a doe tag later that day. No other deer taken from the owner or family the whole season. Probably not get invited next year!!! Somebody's gotta cull the heard!!!! grin.gif