• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boars?

Tom Linderholm

Man I saw the news where they showed the one in Poplar and that thing was huge. I sure wish he would come by Holyoke because I would love to get one. Is it legal to shoot them in MN? I know Wi wants you to shoot them.

That boar was photographed a quarter mile off of my land, last night I ran into a guy that lives near there and e had one in the back of his truck dressed at 315#. DNR wants them dead but they are more than likely going to outbreed. Some speculation says that there are nearly 300, and these things have several litters a year. You may get your wish for them out by Holyoke.

I don't know what Boars eat but I don't think you have to worry about the local bears. Most are already hibernating and the ones that are not won't be hurt by an bait you put out.

One thing to keep in mind about pigs. They have poor eyesight. If you see one hunting you should be able to sneak within range for a shot.

Cheff - What part of NW WI are you talking about? I know several were shot in easter Eau Claire Co a couple years ago. Its too bad they are so destructive to the land cuz I think theyd be fun to hunt.

The boars that I went after down in Texas sure didn't have poor eyesight. They could smell really well also, and it sure wasn't easy to just sneak up them. In fact, it was pretty tough, and the best way to get them was in a stand, in the middle of the night. If anyone is up for a fun, cheap trip, give it a try. You can usually find a hunt down there for as little as 200 bucks for a weekend. If you look, you may even find one where you don't pay unless you get one. I don't know about you, but I think it would be super cool to have a big boar skull, tusks and all, hanging in the garage. (Yeah, I didn't get one!)

Oh yeah, the licencse down in Texas for an out of stater was only $30. Locals, can kill all they want for free. So it is a really cheap, and fun guided hunt. I guess the big pigs (250 on up) are only good for sausage, but if you shoot a smaller one, they can be fantastic! My guide put me in a stand, and said if I get out of the stand, he will call the hunt off and not refund my money. Not sure if he would have done it, but he was just trying to reinforce how dangerous a 400 pound wild boar can be. He had hundreds of acres of land, but his yard was COMPLETLEY fenced in, so dogs and kids would be safe. Whenever he went near the woods, he'd carry around a 45-70 govt. "just in case". I'm know I'm getting long winded here, so I'll shut up now, but if you've got a week off, drive on down and try it. It's a blast. Right Tater?

I hunted boars in texas and I tell you what I would do it again in a drop of a dime. The boars that we were hunting were mean and [PoorWordUsage]ed off. Feeders is where we hunted -- early morning and late evening. They were on timers. I had one charge my stand--rather scary. Very tough animals - best way to cook them is low and slow. These pigs have up to three litters per year and up to 10 piglets per litter. You can see the numbers add up quick.

My dad has land just off 13 before before the Iron River. Can't wait to get out there next sat. Buck Fever is in it's middle to late stages. If i see one of those god awful boars heading my direction i probably won't hesitate.