• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remote car starter

MrBig

Question

OK, a little off the fishing topic, but maybe someone can help.

My wife came across a great deal on those remote car starter units. Thought it would be great to hook up to my daughters car, and also mine since it was so cheap. She heard it would be simple to install. Well, after viewing the installation video this weekend, it might be more than I'm willing to try, expecially with cold weather starting.

So, does anyone know any moonlightling mechanics, or reasonable garages who can install these? I'm located in the cities.

Thanks for your suggestions.

13 answers to this question

Your asking for trouble with those. I work on cars part time and hear more horror stories about those things then I can type about. My boss put one on his car and it messed up his timing, (professionally installed.) another friends car starter would not stop running after the motor had started causing the motor to start on fire. (professionally installed.) If you don't put the shut off safety button under the hood so it wont work if the hood is open, some places wont touch your car. It's up to you if you want to have one. Yes they are nice, but I wont ever have one.

I paid $310.00 for an Astrostart to be profesionally installed in my F150 over 5 1/2 years ago. Not one problem. It's great to have in the winter. I will have one installed on my next new vehicle.

Sandbar

Hey Big,

I don't know what kind of car you got, but if your vehicle has theft deterent in it, (the kind that has a chip in the key) you will need another key for it to be programmed. That can be up to 50 extra bucks just for the key.

I would also recommend to to have it professionally installed....especially if it's a newer vehical. If you have any issues they can figure it out instead of you troubleshooting...if it came to it for some reason. I had a Viper installed in my 03 Ram last winter and it works great!!

I also prefer to have some sort of audio shop install it....I have had friend with a couple bad experiences in some retail chains in the area in the past.

Mrbig, I installed remote car starters for 5 years, you must have an AutoComand unit. They are a good starter for the money.There web site has the color codes you may need. Like some guys said some newer cars need extra parts to make them work. Chevy and ford have what they call a Pass Key, that needs to be bypassed. What year and make is your car?

Thanks guys for the advice/warnings. My wife already bought them. They are called "Ready Remote" and made by DesignTech. If anybody knows about these, they can comment. The 2 cars we'd put them in would be a:

'98 Corolla

'96 Tahoe

Neither has alarm systems and as you can see they are older cars.