• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishin for LM Bass?

Wishin2BFishin

Hi All, I've been looking at everyone's plans as to what they will be trying to catch Hardwater fishin this year but don't see anyone planning to try for LM Bass? What's up? No Bass left out there or do you all not try for Bass in the winter? I catch at least two LM Bass most times I go out here in Ma. Biggest one I've ever caught thru the ice was just under 5 pounds. Nice to see that BIG MOUTH come up thru the hole!

Out here in CT we do very well with the bass. Our biggest always come when we are targeting pike... Big bait, big fish. 2 or 3 times a season, we'll drive up to the MA \ NH border and fish the Nashua River. The bass action there is amazing...3 and 4 lb bass all day with the occassional bigger fish thrown in.

Last Feb up there on the Nashua, I had a MONSTER bass come up and sniff my jig and then swim right by my Aqua-Vu shocked.gif I manged to get it on tape... See it here

LOL... See? Now ya went and got me all excited again. I am sitting here watching all my videos from last year. Here is another one that sniffed the jig and moved on... I was having a ball with the fish that day, changing the presentation around to see what made them hit.

BRING ON THE ICE DAMMIT grin.gif

Hey Blaine, Nice Videos!!! Makes you aware of how much Bass check things out before they hit! I can't believe your jig was hitting his nose but he did not take it! Maybe when we finaly get some ice we could plan to get together and show each other our favorite Bass spots? How much is an out of state license in CT?

Hi Dan, I use tipups most of the time. Too lazy to jig. Tried jigging a few times but not much luck. Not using the right jig or something? Yea just tipups with shinners (minnows) average size about 4 inches. Can use five tipups per person here in Ma. Just set em up and sit back and have a beer and a cigar and wait for the flags!!

I have caught LM while fishing for pike with large sucker minnows as bait.

My best luck has been late winter ice using a jig and small power bait, or wax worm. Chartruse has been my color of choice for both the LM and sunnies.

Ron

LM Bass here in Minnesota, are'nt much fun through the ice, like pulling in a big fat winter stiffened bullhead. Well, maybe a little better, but not much.

They seem to get lethargic and don't come anywhere close to their fighting abilty.

They sometimes will hit when you are jigging for sunnies, and once in awhile, you get them on the tip up, fishing for pike, if the minnow is'nt real huge.

I have never known anyone here in Minnesota, that specifically targets LM Bass in the winter?

Grebe you cant be anymore wrong, the ones I have caught on mille lacs and some local lakes fight very hard and catching 18 to inch bass on number 2 swedish pimples and with two pound test fight harder then any bullhead you will ever catch. Thats my thoughts.

Best Fishes

Chris

I normally catch a few largemouth during early and late ice. You can really get into them during early ice, because they are migrating through shallow water areas and will actually school up, and they feed on whatever is in their path. I witnessed somewhere between 15-20 largemouths between 3-6 pounds caught one day between two guys during early ice on a Metro lake. These fish are thicker fish too, they've been gorging themselves for winter. You can catch these fish using plastics or whole minnows on a jig. Tip-ups work well too.

Once midwinter takes hold, these fish begin to become sluggish, and their metabolism slows immensely. They will feed mostly on small forage like plankton and smaller minnows if the chance arises. Switching to lighter tactics is the way to go. Small size 10 or so horizontal presentations packed with maggots work well. Small jigging spoons will pick up fish too. Midwinter largemouth are less schooled, and might not even school at all.

One thing to keep in mind is that the harsh conditions will really take a toll on largemouth. Largemouth are more typically accustomed to warmer temps, and that is most of the reason why they almost become dormant during the very cold months of winter. Other gamefish like walleyes and pike thrive in cold conditions, and it doesn't affect them as much. A hard fight takes a lot out of largemouth, and over exposure out of the water can damage the fish.

I don't specifically target largemouth during the winter, mostly because of personal preferrence, but also because in my opinion, the cold hits them the hardest and the energy they expend is tough for them to make up. Now, you are not going to kill largemouth by catching them in the winter, but I believe it's harder on them then it is on other species. But, if I happen to tangle with a bucketmouth through the ice, I'll gladly reel em' in smile.gif

My biggest largemouth came through the ice on a late season bluegill spree. A nice bonus smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

HuskyPlayer15...If you can catch anything on 2# test, even a chub, let alone a winter bass, I tip my hat to you!

The only thing I manage to do with 2# test is to come up with snarls that look like Phylis Dylers hair!

Maybe I was a little hard on the winter LM Bass, but they are still sluggish.

I have had my best bass fishing in the winter. It was not intentional was after northern and had these bass and they were BIG that just kept bitting. My personal experience is that real early and last ice can be good but the rest of the year is watching them come in and look but no bites. With a few exceptions, I just call them flukes or a bonus. During midwinter I've noticed that jigging actually spooks them off. Lots of times I like to angle out of a spearing sized hole just to watch and learn, it really helps come summer because I get to see all these nice bass and even though they don't bite next summer they will.

I agree with Griz, I also angle alot out of a house with a spearing size hole so that I can view the different habits of the fish during early and late ice.

When the Bass get finicky during mid winter I sometimes use a small black tail on a jig and just flutter it easy and that seems to work alot of times. I keep a rod ready to drop down when the Bass show up, when im fishing for Northerns. It's fun to watch an aggressive Bass attack a large sucker minnow when they are active.

IM hoping to use the house with the spearing size hole this winter again, last year I got the wheel house and that spoiled me, but I still miss viewing the fish out of the small house.

Ron

I use two pound on red lake and have had only one break off from a 20 plus pound northern.

most of the lakes I use 1 pound on, set the drag right you can land anything. Sometimes it takes a while, I have caught a 36 inch northern with 2 pound jigging a swedish pimple on rush, and in the winter I use 4 pound for walleyes, just my preference but I think you get better feel, faster drop of the lure/ better action and it forces you to slow down winding them in especially in deep water I think it helps with not giving the fish bends too

Best Fishes

Chris