• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting in 30mph winds??

Muskieguy

It looks like Sunday is going to be very windy. I know that strong winds hamper deer movement. What would the best attack be to find deer on a windy day?

Sit in tree stand

Multiple person "Drive"

Walking/Still hunting

I am wondering if driving and/or walking wouldn't be your best bet on a day like that??

What do you think?

Muskieguy......

It all depends on the land, how many guys you got and if you want to push everything out the first weekend or wait and let them use your area for safety.

I would wait it out if your schedule permits

The deer will still move in the high winds. Especially if there is adequate cover. The bucks will be on the prowl and moving and with all the hunters around. Sit tight and be paitent. But that is just my opnion.

I shot my biggest buck in 30 mph winds. It was gun season, and he was walking across a field with the wind to his rump. He was rutted up pretty good and had does on the mind. I was shocked to seem him there, but picked my jaw off the ground in time to shoot him. It was dumb luck, but when they are rutting there is no telling what they will do.

Last year, we had a mean SE wind that was about 20 mph, with higher gusts. I picked a spot that was near a bedding area and a pine grove. I got on stand (plastic lawn chair)about noon, and a buck showed a little after 5pm. Man, I was cold, LOL. This spot was perfect for the wind on that particular day.

If it is windy, I am not discouraged. I stop trying drives and just wait them out.

i hate wind out of all things, I hope that the prediction is off. I was out screwing around tonight and saw quite a few deer movement, it was pretty windy. I hope a cold front comes in, but looks like its supposed to hit 50 on sat. up here in Bemidji

-Good Luck, try not to let the weather discourage you!

JN

30 mph .. well I would hope the weather man is wrong..

My thoughts are deer will move much less with wind in the 30's that's blowin...If you have a stand that will be somewhat protected from the winds direction jump in, if you dont find the spot. Or watch the football game........ not blush.gif

I personally don't mind a strong wind once in awhile. I like to stalk into the wind and catch them bedded down where they think they are secure. I think if it is windy they can't hear or smell to accurately so they bed down unless they are rutting.