• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CLAM PRODUCTS

Dakota Iceman

Im wondering if anyone has the universal rope lighting made by the Clam corp? If so, I'm particulary concerned about the diffrence between the 6' strip of white(clear) incandesant wich is 14.99 per section versus the Red LED version (29.99). Im a believer that the LEDS can produce more lumens but wondering on the red color? Does it light up the shack enough? All opinions welcome on this one folks, lets hear your thoughts. Iceman out>

I work at a Gander Mountain, and spoke to the Clam guy about the new lights. The white lights are incandescent, therefore will have a much higher draw on the old Vex battery, but will give you a more intense light. The red LED lights will be enough light for doing most tasks while ice fishing. One good thing is your eyes will not have to adjust when you step out to check a tip up!

I have heard that tests from inside a freezer were less than impressive. And that they draw a huge amount of battery juice.

I have not used them myself. Just what I had heard.

OVER THE WEEKEND I WIRED A LIGHT IN MY FISH TRAP. I HAD A SPARE TAIL LIGHT FOR MY BOAT TRAILER. I DRILLED TWO HOLES IN IT AND ATTACHED IT TO THE TOP BAR USING A U-BOLT. THEN I TY-RAPPED OUTDOOR SPEAKER WIRE OVER AND DOWN THE TOP BAR TO THE SLED. WITH SOME SPADE CONNECTERS I WILL HOOK IT UP TO MY SPARE VEX BATTERY. THE NICE THING IS I USED THUMB SCREWS TO ATTACH THE RED LENS. THEN I CAN SLIDE IT OVER FOR BRIGHT LIGHT OR SLIDE IT BACK FOR RED LIGHT, AND RED IS ONLY ABOUT HALF AS BRIGHT AS THE WHITE. (UNDER $20)

I'm using two white 10,000 MCD LED's in my invention and they are really bright. I have been playing with a lot of led's, although I have not seen the product you mention, I can pretty much guaranttee that if you want to read the paper or play cards out there the white incadesent would be the way to go. The red would probably be just fine for seeing purposes though.

One thing I forget to mention is that you can run a string of led's in parrallel off 4 AA batteries and they will run for a week straight that is 24 x 7 is 168 hours of straight non stop run time. My friend made a bouy marker with them. If that's not bright enough then use 24 of them. If you know how to solder just make a string of them in parrallel that is the important part and run them across your shanty ceiling. I know they are usually $3.50 a piece for the junk ones that are 1,200 mcd's but I get the 10,000 mcd bright whites cause I use them in my ice fishing invention. If you want to try some I can get them for $2 ea. just let me know.