• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hanging deer

Thanks irvingdog. I've always cut my deer up right away, and got them in the freezer. I was just curious,in case I shot one, and couldn't find until late or something.So I was just wondering how cold it had to be for me to be safe letting it hang for the night, or while I work in the AM.-Later!

Dustin

I like to hang it for at leat 4 days if the weather allows. Around freezing at night and not much warmer than 50 during the day, it absolutely helps the tenderness of an older deer, allowing the enzymes to break down the muscle tissue a bit. On younger deer I do not think that it makes as much of a difference, but I do it anyway, I have let deer hang for up to a week with no adverse reactions. That is simply my opinion on the subject, but I do believe it makes a difference.

We hang ours for about a week if the weather allows (highs around 40-45 degrees max). Especially the older bucks. It seems like the ones we have to butcher right away during warmer weather are always the stronger tasting ones. Just my experience. There are a few books that say hang for around 10 days or so.