• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your posting name

Dan Thiem

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Grandfather's name was Ole Swenson. The rest of it has become a family joke for 40 years:

When I was 16 I got a summer job up in Ontario on Dryberry Lake. I was going to become a fishing guide (that's what the lodge hired me for. They said they would train me when I got there and I could learn the lake real fast). When I arrived they said that the guides from the year before were all coming back so they'd find other things for me to do. I ended up being a dishwasher from 6am through 9pm with assorted odd jobs during the day. It rained four 15 days straight while I was there and I couldn't take it any longer so I called my Mom and decided to come home. The day I left the sun came out and it was a beautiful day.

So, now since I've become an avid fisherman, I still get a hard time from my family about being a famous guide. Hence, Ole the Guide, came about.

Ole

Ed - still laughin'... laugh.gif

Blaze could be credited to the "burning rubber" I've been doing since I turned 16 (many moons ago), or my pyromaniac tendencies at the campfire, but it's also one letter short of my last name.

Mine--because I came across the sight by chance and wanted to ask some questions pronto.....the only thing I could think about was Lake Superior (living in Duluth at the time) and knew there were a lot of Captain's that sailed that lake.

Went with Captain and then my intials! cool.gif

I always wake up early to go fishing or hunting. It has always been my favorite time to get out there, no crowds, and the most productive time for me. I actually started getting up early all the time after working 3 years for UPS loading their package cars during graduate school.