• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish House Secutity? Proven Methods?

LittleRanger

My fishouse has a security proven deterent that I beleave works.The fishouse I've had seven years with no break-in's knock on wood. I have a metal steel bar that runs across the width of the door. The door it self is 3/4" plywood but also is reinforced with 3" wide x 1" thick pine boards and also has another layer of 3/4" plywood at the top and bottom of the door that is screwed and bolted together. The walls of the fishouse are 4" thick so the door heiges and brackets that hold the steel bar are bolted all the way thought the 4" wall. The metal steel bar is 1/2" thick x 2" width that side through to metal brackets on each side of the door and then can be locked in place. It's Heavy Duty.

Lets keep our hooks sharp.

TackleBoxMike

Perhaps we should combine some of these ideas into something more productive. We've already established that no one can resist a Krispy Kreeme. I think you couple that weakness with a retaliation method. Start of by taking everything out of your shack. Then feel free to place an easily penatrable lock on the door. When the would-be theif breaks in all he is greated with is a box of delicous doughnuts. So, he partakes, thinking 'what the heck I'm already here, I should take something.' That's when he bites down and realizes that these doughnuts have a distinct Hog Manure flavor. Instant redemption.

Back to the Krispy Kream idea.

If I leave a dozen in a box sitting there, right in the middle of the floor, will they still be good to eat the next time I go out (say after 1 week for conversation's sake)? It will more than likely be below freezing so they should freeze solid. Then just warm them up when you go back out there, right??

I just hate to see a dozen go to waste like that. grin.gif

How about a motion detector that turns a light on inside the house. The motion detector could also turn on a small motor that turns a small object around the light casting shadows thus appearing to them that someone is moving around in there. They would be taking the chance that someone may be in there and recently woke up and turned on the lights. YOu could also rig the motor around the light to drop a object to create sound.

But like the others have said, if they want in they will get in. TAke valuables out and put a minimal lock on it so they won't damage your door trying to get in. Take valualbes out or make a secret storage in the floor, walls or ceiling. my 2cents

I think the best way would be to disguise a Cuddeback as an old clock or something that they'd never take. Get the photo after a break in and then spend the rest of the winter driving around the lake with your boys and the devoloped picture.

Hopefully, most of this is done by kids that just don't know any better. People make mistakes, especially when their young, but it's the old SOB that still does this dump that needs to get a beatin.

This is something I've thought about since my place was broken into, nothing stolen, but the door was messed up and then not shut. The wind (or the burglar?) ripped it off and the house sat for a week with no door. It was away from the crowd on LOW. If I found that guy, I think we'd have to have a squaring off.

TackleBoxMike....Whoa, that is quite a fortress! A crook could make a career out of breaking in to that bad boy!

The hog doodoo thing would have everything else smelling like hog doodoo also.

Probably the most effective system and that would only depend on the amount of invovlement of all the concerned individuals, would be like a neighborhood watch type deal?

That to is probably wishfull thinking, because afew seasons ago, they were breaking into houses right in the group, on WhiteBear, there was an article in the paper.

If houses were off by themselves, a bogie on a snowmobile could be in and out before anyone knew!

Some lakes are more prone to wholesale destruction then others, on those lakes, just leave the house with a little lock on it to discourage dumpers, and nothing else.

One method that I used that might work is to give keys to a bunch of trusted friends. Being that I could fish mostly only on weekends and some of my retired friends could get out nearly every day the house stayed occupied nearly all the time. And the older fellows enjoyed not having to mess with taking care of a permanent house!