• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

marcum 560 first impressions

jrsue

Just got my marcum 560 camera and this weekend had a chance to try it on the dock of a small lake.

Water clarity on the lake was not very good. My first try was about 9 am and it was overcast. The pictures from about 5ft down were very clear. however water clarity made things dissipear from about 4ft and beyond. Almost imediatly spotted fish, they like to come up to the camera to investigat. For just observing it was best to set camera to pan at its slowest speed , and as soon as something is seen , then stop pan with the push of the remote.

I then dropped a jig down , first of all I can say that without the panning feature It would have been extremely dificult to even find my jig. Also helpfull is knowing the direction the cam is facing [arrow indicator on screen] After locating the jig about 2 to 3ft away it was a matter of centering the jig in the screen with pan , again all done with the remote controller. It wasnt more than a few minutes before the first bluegill came to surface, and more followed. It got to the point that I was pulling the jig away from smaller fish and allowing bigger ones to bit. A few times the area cleared and a bass cruised in to investigate but didnt bit, again without the pan feature I would have had no idea what scared of the bluegilles, because the bass stayed further away.

I've never owned a camera before and am in know way affiliated with the ovs 560. but I'd have to say that if I would have just dropped a camera down and only had one view, [as in no, panning feature] , also if I wouldnt have known which way its pointing [as in no, on screen direction indicator],I think I would not have been to impressed with an underwater camera. If the water is not very clear I can see it could be quite a chalenge and even frustrating to even find your bait, let alone use an underwater camera effectivly.

I can see the potentual for this camera with Panning, direction indicator, depth indicator and all controlled with a handheld remote, to be as usefull as my flasher. In the short couple hours that I've used I already made one discovery , I was moving my jig way to much , in this case they wouldnt bite unless it was standing rock still.

Overall I'm very impressed with it, and would say that the extra features on the 560 are well worth it.

So far the only negative is the remote controller has to be pointed right at the screen for it to work, seems like that could be improved. as far as the remote I would say in an ice shanty it will be a very nice feature though, not having to lean down every time to use the on screen controlles.

Thanks for the info. I have a OVS500 and I like it a lot. I was going to upgrade to the 560, but I found out it does not have IR lighting. I fish for walleye at night and I don't think they like the multi colored lighting too much. Anybody know if they are going to offer IR lighting on this model in the future?

Ok guys, I'm not famliar with underwater camera's but have been thinking about getting one. Can you guys recommend which is better Aqua View or Marcum and which model....please give all the info that you can....I have no clue what to look for in a camera.....thanks

Duke of Earl,

I recommend the Marcum. I did a lot of looking before I got mine and I am very happy I did. I've seen lots of problems with the aqua-vu's. Mostly connection issues. The other thing is the picture quality. The Marcum screen is MUCH better the Aqua-vu. JMO wink.gif

I picked up a 560 two weeks ago at Bass Pro Shop in Fridley. I put my name on a list there in September.

It was something like $638 w/tax. I've tried it in both Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun at dusk and Pomroy Lake in Kanebec county at 4:30 a.m., the lights work great. It gave a great picture each time. I'll easily be able to see my bait as well as the bait down the other holes in my fish house. (a 5x6 Clam). Now we just need some ice.