• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

weekend report from ND

Just got back from North Dakota. Plenty of fresh mallards and grey ducks in. Had no trouble limiting 2 people out in less than two full days of hunting. Mallards came in by the thousands over the weekend in the wind. Saw several thousand on our way home. Get out of your vehicle and do a little walking if you're going. The hunting is much more enjoyable that way.

Just back from the Guelph area in the southern part of the state. Too early. Two G/O operations in the area have the local birds plenty skittish. Saw a few calender migrants and some SOB's starting Saturday. Forget about roosters. The farm we were on was one of the few to even be started with corn. Many bean fields will not get picked. Was still a great time but not if you're expecting a truckload of birds.

I also just got back from four great days of duck hunting. The mallards were not as numerous as on our first trip two weeks ago, however we still managed limits. The snow geese were just starting to show up. There were plenty of divers on the bigger water. I also was lucky to get a banded weigeon, a nice bonus. I couldn't have asked for a better N. Dakota waterfowling expierence as I had this year. The big difference between this year and years past is that the farmers in our area were not able to harvest their small grains. This really concentrated the birds.

Good hunting!

IceHawk

We spend most of our time north of Starkweather and south of Langdon. there is a ton of public land and we have permission from some local farmers to hunt theirs as well. Everyone needs to be nice to the people out there and remember that it is a privelege to be there. Most farmers we have met are more than happy to let you hunt even posted land. Follow their rules and enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for the info fishnut 2. I know what you mean about respecting the farmers who own the land. I hunt waterfowl in SD and over the years by respecting them and their land I have gained access to some really good areas. I also lend a helping hand around their farms in the off seasons this really brings a smile to there faces.

My Son, Brother-in-law,myself & friend who lives in Carrington, N.D. had a really good time hunting last weekend. Mallards, geese, pheasants & sharptails were all in our coolers for a ride to Mn. The weather was rather rainy & cool, but good for hunting! We hunted Northwest of Jamestown about 20 miles, most were local ducks, the Northern ones haven't been pushing through yet. We did see some Snows & Blues on Sunday. My friend & I grew up about 30 miles west of where we mostly hunted, so we knew the area.

I agree IceHawk, the Farmers really appriciate respect given from people, and if you help them out, you're gold! grin.gif