• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frozen whole smelt

oscar

I'm looking to stock up on smelt for pike fishing this winter and was wondering if anyone knew where I could locate some in central Mn. Must be whole, the bigger the better, "10 - "12 would be nice. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for them this summer, but just haven't seen any. Any help would be appreciated.

Try calling Vado's Bait. They normally carry frozen smelt and will assist you where they can on dealers in your area, it might be to early yet. Also try bait dealers in Northern Minnesota and Lake Superior arrea.

Vado's Bait

7895 Highway 65 NE

Blaine, MN 55432

(763) 784-6728

Sorry I just gave the last of my stash away. Next spring you smelt users give me a e-mail and I will freeze you up all the smelt you want. I know those LOW boys cant get enough of them. walleyes4me32 at aol dot com

Just curious if you guys and gals rig the smelt up frozen or if its best to thaw them out first before putting them on the hook. What works best? Also, will they work anywhere in the water column, I mean say two feet down over thick weeds in 8 feet of water? Just wondering cuz I know people fish em on the bottom and was wondering if they still get mauled by pike if they're suspended motionless under a tip-up.

I put mine on the hook partialy frozen and let the water thaw it out which is quite quick.

I fish the smelt suspended and have very good success, doesn't seem to matter if IM fishing 2' down or 12'.

Ron

I always thaw them out partially to hook them. As for height, I usually try different depths and go with whatever is working, could be anything from laying on the bottom to just under the ice. Thanks for the all the suggestions. Just talking ice fishing gets me excited, bring on the ice, I'm ready for it.