• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

canada and passengers with dui's

ok we are going on a road trip and i was wondering if the person with a dui isnt driving can get in, i mean the wont be driving cause they dont have a licence but i didnt know if they would turn us away, if they ask cant i just say no that no one does or will they just be worried about me having one since i will be driving. some one let me know please

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-25-2004).]

If you have a recent dui, and they ask you the question, you will probably be turned away. This is even if you are not driving.

I had a buddy get turned away at the Warroad crossing about 4 years ago. He had a nine year old DUI, and he was denied entry. He had to ride his sled all the way across the MN part of Lake of the Woods to get to the NW Angle.

Contact Immigration Canada, or check their HSOforum for details. There are ways to get cleared in advance, but it may cost some $$$.

My fishing partner, not driving the truck, got hit with a $200 fee and about an extra hour at the border crossing in Fort Frances. This was for something like a DUI that was around 10 years old. Apparently if you're willing to pay a couple hundred bucks, then the government of Canada will consider you "rehabilitated".

Cashcrews

We went to Canada in August of '02, had a passenger with a DUI from 5 years ago and we got in no problem at the Fort Frances customs.

They didn't specifically ask us if anyone had a DUI, but they took our drivers license and checked them. We were through in about 15 minutes.

That was our experience anyway...

All posts here sound familiar. It can go either way in my experiences with friends. Do not lie if they ask. If the truth has to come out, tell them, and then hope for the rehabilitation form route. Good luck.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Tattooednemesis,
Something you may want to keep in mind is that the U.S. Customs is more through than the Canadians. We cross extensivley in Baudette and have had documents checked,licenses ran, trucks/trailers/boats/sleds/inspected, coolers cked, fish counted ect.. By no means am I complaining They were always polite and decent to my family and I.
So,, what I am trying to say is that the border is no place to "pull the wool over someones eyes". Either way. Be honest, polite, and have fun!!

This question comes up all the time. I had asked a Canadian Immigration Officer one time this very question. I can not swear to his answer but if I remember correctly it does NOT have to mean a total ban. It has to do with how long ago you were convicted of DWI. I believe after 10 yrs it is not a ban and the variable is the 5 to 10 years. I can tell you that if U tell a lie you will most likely be turned back no matter when the conviction was. In Canada we have a "Pardon" and one can apply for that after 5yrs. If a Canadian who has been convicted of some criminal offence and is on the computer and goes south into the USA and is queried by the Americans it is there for ever no matter if he gets a Pardon in Canada or not. Apparently American law does NOT recognize Canadian Pardons.

I would sugguest you phone the Canadian Border crossing that you are planning on crossing and speak directly with a Canadian Immigration Officer NOT a Custom Officer. Yes, Canadian Customs Officers are the first ones you speak with (the opposite to Americans) but it is the Immigrations Officers that know Canadian Immigration laws and rules.

If somebody lives near the US/Canada Border stop by and directly speak with Canadian Immigration and lets get this matter straightened out. Most people who come to Manitoba to fish will enter at Pembina/Emmerson (North Dakota/Manitoba) and there is an Immigration Officer there. There is NO Canadian Immigration Officer stationed at Emmerson/Noyes (Manitoba/Minnesota).

I spoke to immigration today at Ft. Frances as that is where I will cross this summer. They said as long as you have only one DWI, it happened more than 10 years ago AND you do not lie to them if asked there will be no problem.

Mike