• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

season change for fox

I can't believe they went threw all the work to set a season on them, without first separating them, to be managed as individual species.

I'll agree with red fox getting a break, between the mange and coyotes, in SE MN they seem almost rare. But racoon are thriving and out of control, just not enough hunters and trappers, we can go out one with one dog and tree more than you'd care to skin in a night.

What do you all think? Is there a valid reason they shouldn't be managed apart?

No to make anyone [PoorWordUsage]ed off, but they are managed seperatly. And the fox fur price and coon is on the upswing. Coon in most areas of the state have had serious outbreaks of distemper. And the fox are recovering from mange in most parts of the state.

In one area my buddys coon catch went from a couple hundred to 90 some. In a area I trapped down south the coon were wiped out completly.

If anyone has problems with either animals contact me I do Animal control work with permits I get from the DNR on most critters.

And if you know where there is lots of coon well by god let me know!! LOL

I believe from what I was told at a meeting is the coon season was going to run from second weekend in Oct to March 15th.

And the fox season was now going to run on different dates. Plus the north and south season restrictions would apply. Assuming it passes I should hear shortly. If thats what you mean by managing them. Otherwise habitat wise I would have to say there not.

They are also managed by way of if coon where doing damage you need to get permit to remove them, and then report it when you were done. Where as fox it was a kill at will deal. Just some funny DNR rule. Now that will all change I presume.

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 03-18-2004).]

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 03-18-2004).]

So your saying they "are" going to be separated. Guess I need to find this bill and read up on it.

Jmnhunter, I'm sure this will not effect nuisance game removal, other than you might now have to report it, when out of season. Currently there are no restrictions on either red fox or raccoon. Continuous with no limits, they are treated the same. I've never had problems with fox but them masked bandits have wreaked havok with my birds and garden.

And while we're on this, doesn't the "new" ending date of the season seem irrelivant? How many folk are are still at it after Christmas time? (give or take a couple weeks)