• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fox and Coyote Hunting

I will be out this weekend and of next week, have to balance the fishing thing also. Have been logging a few miles since the snow storm and have not seen a whole lot of tracks. Could be a good thing, maybe waiting in the woods.
Here doggie, doggie, doggie.
grin.gif

I had just the one crack at one on my first time out. I noticed you got in on that post also. I've been out 2-3 more times...once 2 weekends ago, took a 4 mile hike calling & scouting for deer sheds. Saw a ton of tracks and a snow squall whipped up...couldn't pull any.

I'm going back out next week. Moon will be building up to full all next week with full moon on Feb 7....perfect.

What we need now is for all this snow to settle to the point where the critters can get up on top of it,tough going for them at the time.For the time being give them extra time to respond and especially for coyotes if you can set up close to good deer trails they really utilize them with these conditions.Try to get a little closer to areas where you think they should be hunting,the soft snow definetly helps a stealthy approach(snowshoes are about a must)and use close to mid-range calls.They just aren't going to expend enough energy to travel a mile now.This is assuming you got dumped on like we did in central MN with about 18+ inches.The coyotes are in heat and the fox are soon to follow so they will be more active,the best calling is coming up!

The snow has gotten bug going with me as well to get out. I too need to find the time to mix with the ice fishing, but still want to get out. I've never hunted coyotes here since I moved to the metro area. How hard is it to gain permission near the metro to hunt predators? At home, just about any land owner will let you hunt after the end of December, especially if you tell them you are after coyotes. Are the farmers/landowners on the outskirts here just as willing?

Hey, how is the hunting right now? I think my buddy and I are going to try here in a couple of weeks. Second time ever doing so this year, but found a closer spot this time. I was just wondering if you guys ever shoot coyotes/fox on a moonlit night and when the coyotes go into heat and the best calls for that and now? O, and the state forest we are going to try, what kind of ground do u suggest? main forest with little openings or clear cuts?thanks alot, this is only my second year now with the 30.06! please suggest call techs.and land areas to hunt.
-Good Hunting
John

John,

If your interested in night hunting this is the week to do it. The full moon is Friday and with the cold weather we've had coupled with the breading season the fox and coyotes are on the move. A rabbit in distress call is what I use. You mentioned hunting forest land. Coyotes like to approach from down wind, so your going to want a clear field of view in that direction. I would suggest clearcuts with some cover. Coyotes are wary and seldom approach through the wide open. A little cover makes them feel a little more at ease and are more apt to approach.

If your interested in keeping the hides I would suggest a smaller rifle if you can get your hands on one. I use a 22/250 you may also think about a shotgun if you think you will have a shot under 40 yds.

Good Hunting!

Thanks for the info. Tour P., I wont be able to make her out this weekend, would be nice to one of these days. How do you guys hunt at night? I assume its easy with the snow and moon when possible. Please add more info. if anyone has it.
Thanks
-Good Hunting
John

Hey, another question, my buddy and I use a electronic and a mouth call. What should be the durations on the electronic distress call? And the mouth call how often should it be blown and how exactly? Thanks
-Good Hunting
John

John,

I've never used an electronic call. I know they work, I just prefer a mouth blown call. {personal preference} I start out soft just in case there are any critters close and build volume from there. I'll blow for a couple of minutes and then stop for a couple of minutes. This goes on for about 15 minutes, if I don't get a response I'll quit and move to my next spot. The best tip I can give you is to really put some emotion into your calling. You really need that fox or coyote to belive your the real deal.

As far as hunting at night. I don't do anything different than in the day, except make sure that I have a good field of view. Just remember that fox and coyotes can see almost as well in the dark as in the day. Keep your movements slow. They are looking for whatever was making that noise and will be keying in on you, one wrong move and your busted.

I would suggest getting a tape on calling. Johnny Stewart makes some good ones. That would be the best way to learn. It takes a little practice. I've educated my fair share of fox and coyotes. But every one was a learning expierence.

Good Hunting!

tour pro.175 Have you ever hunted coyotes with dogs? We do a lot of this over in the Swanville area. These guys have done this type of hunting all their lives. It is a blast. Looking for a 22/250 or something of the caliber. Any ideas on where to purchase one used with a scope? KOOBA

Kooba,

Back in the early 90's I hunted with a guy who had one dog. It was fun, but the dog [PoorWordUsage]ed out after one chase. Back then it was mostly fox. We found it more productive to drive them out ourselvs.

I would check out Shooting Sports W. of Little Falls. Tyrone might be able to help you out. You may end up looking at buying a new one.

If you guys are ever looking for another guy I would love to go! Our old group has pretty much disbanded. On the way to work last Friday, there was some guys hunting some state land just S. of my place with dogs. They had a dead coyote laying on the sholder of the road. Boy that gave me the itch. Good luck on finding a gun. If your in a pinch give me a call you can borrow mine.

Good Hunting,
Paul

paul, We hunt with Tommy B. Dad and the group gets pretty large some days. A good mixture of young and old guys. I plan on hunting sometime this weekend again if the fish aren't biting. I have monday off because of the holiday and I know they will be hunting then. If you want to go sometime this weekend give me a hollar. It is a ton of fun when the dogs got three coyotes going in one patch. You become a race car driver with your truck. KOOBA

We have about 10 dogs one never gets tired.

[This message has been edited by kooba (edited 02-09-2004).]

Paul, Sounds good. Look me up under the LF phone book. Went by there today after I was in the school and they were hunting and had one up. I will be hunting Sunday and Monday because of the holiday. If I am not home, leave a message. See you then. KOOBA

I have hunted with a guy that had Russian Greyhounds. It was very interesting but frustrating. The only way you can get a kill is if the dogs actually see the coyote. Sometimes it worked somtimes it did not. It kinda takes the fun out of it for the guys in the group with rifles. There was two different times in one year where I could not shoot because the greyhounds were right on the coyote's tail.

i do alot of calling of coyotes and fox but have never hunted with hounds i have a black and tan that i use for coon but if any of you would like to have another person to go with let me know always wanted to know what its like hunting yotes with dogs