• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I bought a .17 NEF last winter and this thing is amazing. I've shot crows at about 200 yards and it knocks em stone dead. I stacked 2 mpls yellow pages together and it blew right though both of them at 100 yards.
I can hardly wait to try it on fox and bobcat.

I've had one now for 2 years. I love it for some things, but it is to small for many others. I shot a coon at 25 feet that was in my garbage and it just humped up and died. Nothing like my 22-250. But I've also shot squirrels and cottontails that blew apart. I really want to see what it does to a fox at 150 yards. One nice this is they are dead nuts accurate. My tow cents

Got a savage 17hmr from santa claus. Took my deer rifle scope off and got her sighted in. Took maybe 10 shots.Took it out after some fox and jackrabbits. didnt find a fox but boy did it take care of those rabbits. Farthest one was maybe 100-115 yards, but just lay it on them and pull the trigger. All were stone dead. Didnt evne leave much for holes so it shouldnt damage a fox at all.

I bought a Remington 597 in .17HMR last summer. I haven't hunted with it yet, but it's very accurate and fun to shoot. I do a lot of preditor hunting after bowhunting is done. Last fall (2002) I had eye surgery and my Dr. said no .22-250 for another 6 months. So I bought this gun to use until I can go back to my .22-250.

I haven't shot anything yet, but I think it will be ok up to a coyote size animal in close. Most of my predator hunting is done here in Mn. so most of my shots are within 50 yards. I may get a chance to go calling this weekend so I'll let everyone know how I did.

Scotty

Have any of you guys with the 17 had the shell not go off. I was using the Remington boat tail with the plastic tip. Shot at a rabbit and then shot and nothing. Put in another and bang it went. Then a few shots later it did it again. Next few went off and thats all i have shot it since. They seemed to be dented. Bad shells or poor firing pin?

Was it during that cold spell Hunterlee? If so, it's possible that your firing pin was sluggish. This is an important note for any rim or centerfire rifle. If you use oil on your firing pin, you will likely experience trouble under 10 deg. F.

I heard of numerous misfire stories after this years cold deer opener. 99/100 times it's because someone put a drop of oil on their firing pin. Use graphite if you choose to use anything at all.

If it was moderate weather...I've got no advise but would be interested to know what cartridges produce the best groups as I am in the market for a 0.17 cal.

Hunterlee, I've had the same thing happen with my rifle. Do you have the Remmington 597? That's what I have and I think it has to do with the magazine. When I loaded my mag full, I would get the same results. I now load one round less and it works fine. I would even have trouble with the action going closed all the way with a full mag.

Scotty

well i assume that my firing pin wasn't cold being i had it in the pickup with me and got out and shot less then five minutes. IT wasnt all that cold either. I got a Savage. It might be the same thing as the guy with the remington becasue i shot then it was a dud. then shot. Loaded all the way and then shot, then dud. Maybe ill take it to the range tommorow and see for sure if it was the full mag. thanks for the advice.

What do you guys use for shells. Had one box of CCI hollow points, and they flattened anything i shot. My brohter had been hunting jacks with some remington plastic tipped ones nad said that he and my dad both shot a couple, but it took 5 times to acually kill them. They could hear and see the hits, but they just wouldnt die. OTher bullets out there to try.

I have used the Hornaday v-max. This is the ammo I've had problems feeding my gun. I bought a couple of boxes of CCI hollow points. I haven't shot any yet, but I've read a lot of good things about them.

Scotty

Lots of new guns with magazines that have a spring or metal push up are just VERY stiff at first. The light loads take a while to loosen it up. I have left a mag full, but never in the gun, for a month and then shot it a bit. It really helps to break it in. It is not for long term storage but can help the initial break in. Just my .02