• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question about buying deer license?

I have never deer hunted, and plan on going up to hunt with a buddy up near cass lake this year. I have not bought a license yet, he said just wait til I get up there. Now I was talking to a neighbor of mine the other day and he said not to wait until the season starts because then there will be a waiting period of some sort. Is that true? Or can I just walk up and get a license. I think my buddy said for that area, you can still just walk up and purchase an antlerless one too. Correct?

------------------
[email protected]
My Hunting and Fishing page

Because most area offer antlerless permits automatically a lot of people are going to wait to buy. Friday night if the DNR computer phone lines are full you'll be out of luck, a hassle too. Buy it beforehand and yes you have to wait two days until it is valid if you wait til after the season opens, if you buy it Saturday you can't hunt til monday.

big fish guy, i assume you are talking about the upcoming firearm season. if you purchase a deer license after the season starts there is a two day waiting period until it becomes valid. if you wait until the day before, it will probably take you less time to drive up north than it will to stand in line and wait. well not really, but i can think of several other things i'd rather be doing, ...like anything. you need to know the geographic location of where you will be hunting in order to designate your antlerless area. some areas were non lottery areas, and some areas needed to be applied for before hand in order to have had the chance to obtain an antlerless permit. if the area you are hunting in, is an area where you did not need to apply, then you are in good shape. some areas also have management permits available for an extra fee, i believe $14.00. these are good for an antlerless deer only. good luck to you, and hunt safe.

------------------
summer is just the dog days of winter jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Check the regs, but I believe that if you buy a license after the season opens you need to wait 24 hours until it is valid. As far as your question regarding the doe permit it depends on the zone and permit area that you are hunting. It looks like Cass Lake is in zone 197 which is a lottery permit area. If that is the case then you will not be able to shoot a doe. The deadline for applying for an either sex permit was 9/4.

Good Luck.

he lives west of cass lake, he said where we'd be hunting, I will be able to take either with a $27 license. So where ever that is...
He's been out bow hunting for weeks now and said he's seen many deer, so he'll put me on the spot. Is it possible to get buck fever if you never been deer hunting before? I am excited about going.

------------------
[email protected]
My Hunting and Fishing page

Hey big_fish_guy:

You've gotten good advice. I just got my licenses yesterday, and the only line I had to stand in was the one with a single guy ahead of me, and he was buying gas. That ELS system sure speeds things up.

Congratulations on getting involved in a great tradition.

And the best of luck. I'll be hunting up here in the woods near Ely with an either-sex permit and a surplus antlerless permit.

While I've hunted deer a lot in North Dakota and some in Wisconsin, this is my first Minnesota deer season.

Good luck to us all. wink.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]