• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND deer hunting

I was curious if there are any other ND deer hunters. About three years ago I switched from hunting Wisconsin Whitetail to ND mule deer and whitetails. I must admit for me the experiene has been nothing but exceptional. Shot my first mule buck last year and looking forward to another great season. It is truly amazing how different the hunting styles are. Obviously ND has more open and flat land, so all we do is drives, with lots of action going on. For me this is very exciting. I do however at times miss sitting in the woods, listening to the wild life around me in Wisconsin. So I guess back to my question of any good ND deer hunting stories out there?

My buddy and I have been hunting ND w/bows for the last 3 years. Score so far is 2 big ones in velvet, 2 7pt, and this year has just started.

This weekend we saw about 40 deer, passing on a small basket rack 8pt, 6pt, forkie, spike etc. Lots of deer!

Stillnofish,
where are you hunting if I might ask? I assume you are rifle hunting, how do you get tags, i know they're hard to come by for non-res. Bow licenses can be bought through ND GFP 1-800 number. Fonz58 where are you hunting I was out there this weekend hunting in southcentral ND. Had a great weekend, passed on a few bucks with big buck sightings. Waiting for the rut.

I grew up in western ND and later moved to MN. I agree about the differances. I felt like a lost kid the first time waiting in a tree stand for deer to come to me. The spot and stalk used out west is still my favorite method of hunting. There's something magical about those mulies racks you never get over.

Dunns,

I hunt around the New Salem area. My in-laws own about 3,000 acres out there, in which we pheasant and Deer hunt the area. For my deer tag, I have to enter the lottery like the residents. Getting a buck tag is more difficult than residents, however I am always able to get a Whitetail doe tag. The experience has been nothing but exceptional for me. My fath-in-law has told me that not only are the pheasants up in the area, but the deer are two. The last three years I hunted, our group (10)has filled every tag but three. Last year the biggest deer whas a huge 10 point whitetail, I believe ND residents call that a 5x5. Looking forward to another great season, but I was only able to get a Whitetail doe tag this year. There are some times that I have troubleholding back on Salem Sue (I believe that is the big cows name, J/K of course. Is the bow hunting in ND difficult due to the open terain in the area. I have never bow hunted ND andneither do the other hunters in our group? Good Luck to all.

Stillnofish, Do you hunt near the Heart River? I grew up not to far from New Salem and hunted Morton county alot. I also "hunted" Salem Sue. Did a four man fun golf tourney there years ago and after you finished golfing you got a bow shot with rubber arrow at the cow. A hit in the butt 1 stroke off score, head two stokes, and an utter was worth like a half dozen! Pretty funny day. Have fun this fall.